Sign Skubal or trade Burnes

2 minutes ago, Sammy Seagull said:

Elias claimed at spring training the goal of the season was to get to the WS, if that is not possible, trade Burnes before he leaves in September.

Burnes is QO eligible, so we get a draft pick even if he walks. If we decide to tank this year for prospects, Burnes is not the first guy to trade.

17 minutes ago, Sammy Seagull said:

In your honest opinion, can the O's get to the WS this year with it's current roster? If not, Elias must sign a number 1 starting pitcher today by 6pm or trade Burnes.

Ok, first to answer your question - IMO no the current roster is not WS bound. The pitching is too bad IMO to succeed through multiple rounds in October. We are currently surrendering 6 runs a game over a 6 week period, which is one of the worst in baseball.

Second - Elias is not likely to "sign" anyone today. As today is the deadline to make trades. Trades are how talent acquisitions will be managed today, not signings. Signings are typically done during the offseason.

Last - Elias cannot make a mockery out of the game and competition by pulling some sort of sell/rebuild move in the middle of a pennant race where his team is in the lead. David Rubenstien and MLB will not allow that for several reasons. It would do a lot of damage to the brand of the Orioles, the media-storm would be fierce, the betting markets would go berserk, star players like Adly/Gunnar would lost faith in the FO desire to help them win a title (which is what almost all players want) and would probably have no interest in remaining with the team longterm, and Rubenstien would lose a lot of money.

Elias doesn't get any more resets grace for a while. He like all GMs in his position has to live under the expectations of trying to win (on-field results) right now while he has this type of talent.

• Upvote 1

Anything is possible, including a WS run, but I think we have about 50/50 odds of missing the playoffs. It depends on whether they manage to turn around this 6-week slump and play like they did in April-May. If their winning days are behind them, we can still fall out of the wildcard race. We might not even be in contention on September 1.

8 minutes ago, allquixotic said:

Anything is possible, including a WS run, but I think we have about 50/50 odds of missing the playoffs. It depends on whether they manage to turn around this 6-week slump and play like they did in April-May. If their winning days are behind them, we can still fall out of the wildcard race. We might not even be in contention on September 1.

I would love a list of teams that have a 5 game lead in the Wild Card (and in fact lead their division and have the second best record in the league) on July 30th that are not in contention on September 1st.

I am begging people that think this way to go outside and take a walk.

The idea that the Orioles are 50/50 to make the playoffs this season is absurd and to actually suggest something like that is bordering on trolling. Either put your money where your mouth is, or log off and take a walk.

18 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Ok, first to answer your question - IMO no the current roster is not WS bound. The pitching is too bad IMO to succeed through multiple rounds in October. We are currently surrendering 6 runs a game over a 6 week period, which is one of the worst in baseball.

Second - Elias is not likely to "sign" anyone today. As today is the deadline to make trades. Trades are how talent acquisitions will be managed today, not signings. Signings are typically done during the offseason.

Last - Elias cannot make a mockery out of the game and competition by pulling some sort of sell/rebuild move in the middle of a pennant race where his team is in the lead. David Rubenstien and MLB will not allow that for several reasons. It would do a lot of damage to the brand of the Orioles, the media-storm would be fierce, the betting markets would go berserk, star players like Adly/Gunnar would lost faith in the FO desire to help them win a title (which is what almost all players want) and would probably have no interest in remaining with the team longterm, and Rubenstien would lose a lot of money.

Elias doesn't get any more resets grace for a while. He like all GMs in his position has to live under the expectations of trying to win (on-field results) right now while he has this type of talent.

Hard to disagree.  All fair points that dictate the reality of the situation.  As much as I appreciate the OPs bold strategy, you can't endlessly reset in life.

1 hour ago, Sammy Seagull said:

In your honest opinion, can the O's get to the WS this year with it's current roster? If not, Elias must sign a number 1 starting pitcher today by 6pm or trade Burnes.

You mean trade? IMO … they need to get a starter, reliever or two, and a good hitting RH LF that plays good defense. 

there is zero chance they are trading Burnes. I have a feeling that they are going to go hard to resign Burnes now the Rubbenstein is in charge. He’s a fan at games and I’m sure he sees the value Burnes brings to the team. 

• Upvote 1

I don't know why the OP is getting such a hard time. This roster has shown us over the last month that it's definitely flawed. Yes, a TOR, prime RP, and a RH OFer would go a long way towards fixing it, but those are pretty big holes to fill without mortgaging the future. It will be hard to address those positions without dealing Holliday, Mayo, Basallo, or Cowser. I'm also not wild about dealing Kjerstad, and trading Mountcastle and/or Mullins will create new holes on the MLB roster. We would absolutely lose defense moving on from either, and there is no guarantee that we would backfill their offensive production.

Losing Bradish, Means, Wells, Bautista, and Coulombe hurts really bad. We are a juggernaut if those guys are healthy, and while we are still very good without them, I don't know that we quite have enough to go all in. So if moving on from Burnes can set us up for 2025+, I think that's a worthwhile consideration. But I would have to be absolutely blown away by a deal to essentially punt on this season. 

1 hour ago, Sammy Seagull said:

This would be a signal to the first place team full of youngsters that I have no faith in you and I have no hope in winning with this team as constructed. You would guarantee that guys like Gunnar and Adley would not sign extensions (along with dozens of free agents that would pass on us). New ownership would also alienate the fan base and the team would get pasted on local and US-wide media outlets.

44 minutes ago, PeteCanes said:

Can you imagine the Burnes package tho?? 😉

I would rather imagine Burnes being part of a parade going down Pratt Street while confete is streaming down upon him and his teammates.

• Upvote 1