O's acquire LHP Trevor Rogers from Marlins

RVAOsFan

3 minutes ago, dtk9119 said:

Why does the "they are blocked here" a good excuse for doing this deal? It's a terrible trade based on the PLAYERS themselves, not whether they are blocked or not. Do better Elias...

Do you have info on other trades that Norby and Stowers couldve been a part of? The market is the market. We got a back end rotation guy to improve our pitching staff for two guys that dont/wont play here.

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Up until this year, Rogers has missed bats and thrown strikes at an above average rate. This year that’s not the case. Why?  I would guess whatever that reason, the Os figure it’s an easy fix

Because the guy only throws 92 mph

2 minutes ago, J.D. said:

At this point, I'd rather leave Westburg at 3B and call up Holiday to play 2B. People don't tend to return from elbow injuries like Mateo had very quickly. 

Holliday is not ready defensively, hence Vavra. Check out the Holliday thread for a withering report from FanGraphs on Holliday's recent play down there. 

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Up until this year, Rogers has missed bats and thrown strikes at an above average rate. This year that’s not the case. Why?  I would guess whatever that reason, the Os figure it’s an easy fix

Why? He’s throwing 92 instead of 95.

Rogers is not the same pitcher now that he was when he was a rookie. I’m ok with the deal because it’s 2.5 years of a back end SP for two blocked marginal prospects, but I’m having a hard time seeing the upside. Unless they think they can get that velo back somehow. 

• Upvote 3

The Norby/Vavra roster spot allocation is only a thing today in Mateo's absence.

We'll see when we go to Cleveland if that city gets Mayo's debut same as it did Gunnar's.

Regulating both Mayo and Holliday to 40-44 service days still in play, but I hope we invest the reps immediately preparing them for October 2024 if they are still part of the organization tonight.

• Upvote 1

Just now, NashLumber said:

I was (and am still) more into songwriting and tasteful guitar and vocal harmonies that I was in technical ability. Rush never appealed to me, but I think it was more about Geddy's voice. I am a mimic of sorts, and for laughs I can break into a "living in the limelight" goof from time to time. But I can only name two songs of theirs, that and Tom Sawyer. 

Neil Young, Beatles, Velvet Underground, NRBQ, Kinks, Squeeze, Marshall Crenshaw, dB's and Big Star were my bag in college. 

You misspelled Battles.  😉

17 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Actually when I first posted this, I didn’t even realize the last 9 starts were good. 

He has been on my radar and a guy I had mentioned as a target. He fits in that mold of a guy like Detmers or Luzardo…may or may not help this year but is a good long term upside play with multiple years of service time.

Clearly Elias and Sig agree. 

Not sure I trade 2 useful trade pieces "today" for a guy "for next year", especially in our current rotation situation. 

BaseballTradeValues, who have spent hundreds if not thousands of hours studying how likely players are to be successful and valuable in the majors:

Our model rejects this trade because it says the Orioles massively underpaid for Trevor Rogers.

A handful of posters on a message board who maybe read some scouting reports, hype articles from MASN, and saw some highlight videos:

OMG, this trade is awful, I can't believe it.

The truth is probably somewhere in-between, but I know which one I think it's much closer to.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

No, I don't. And I think that's why he was a trade asset. Maybe there wasn't a suitor for him other than the Marlins/Rogers deal. But man, I sure don't like giving up a guy like Norby for the profile of Rogers. It feels wrong. I can't even talk myself into it aside from Rogers makes this team slightly better this year. 

I'm sorry to break it to you that I heard we've got him for another two years after this season, too.

joker-heath-ledger.gif