O's acquire LHP Trevor Rogers from Marlins

RVAOsFan

1 minute ago, clapdiddy said:

I'm OK with this trade.   I'm also pretty happy for Norby and Stowers as well.   They should get a decent chance to play in Florida and they've paid their dues.

Yep, happy for everyone involved. Hopefully Rogers rediscovers his 2021 magic, but if not there are worse things to have than cost-controlled back of the rotation proven starters.

Now let's make one more trade for a reliever and let's go win a World Series.

Good trade IMO.

1) Current team is better than it was yesterday

2) 2025 starting rotation now has 3 solid starters

3) 2 years of control

4) Last seven games 3.47 era

5) Stowers was never going to be here after 6pm

6) Norby (who I hoped we would keep) would never be more than a bench player after this season

7) Either Mayo or Holliday is currently on the way to Baltimore

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Unless you think Rodgers slots in as one of your top 3 starters in the playoffs, how does he really help us in October?

And unless a player does that, what is the point of the acquisition?

I don't understand this trade at all if you are serious about trying to win a World Series.

I think Rogers has had prior good performance, a good run over the past 9 starts, and is controllable. No real injury history. The O's staff may also see something that can help him improve. 

He's not Skubal or Snell, but for this year, if we lose Grayson, or Burnes, or Eflin to injury, Rogers is next as #3 for me. Also, someone's gotta eat all these innings coming up, and it's not Povich. 

We had to break the AAA logjam, and we took what we could get. If there was a better deal out there, I trust Elias to have taken it. I am coming around to this deal. 

Edited by nsw

Just now, MurphDogg said:

Yep, happy for everyone involved. Hopefully Rogers rediscovers his 2021 magic, but if not there are worse things to have than cost-controlled back of the rotation proven starters.

Now let's make one more trade for a reliever and let's go win a World Series.

YUP!  Heck, I wouldn't mind seeing 2 more relievers!  :)

6 minutes ago, Malike said:

Apparently you didn't notice the need for someone to play SS behind Gunnar. ;)

Isiah Kiner-Falefa might get the Moneyball Ricardo Rincon life experience in the next 4 hours.

Maybe he'll field a groundball hit by Vlad tonight!

Could be worst deadline trade in history

I like Norby and Stowers to both be productive ML starters, for an oft injured scrub who was good once 3 years ago.

He'll fit right in as he never goes more than 5 innings in any start.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Please look for the forest through the trees.  You all are looking at a small sampling of starts this year where he wasn’t good and extrapolating that out over his career.

And again, as I have talked about, there is something weird going on in Miami because all of their statcast numbers are ugly for the starters, even though they weren’t in the past

I'm looking at this entire body of work in the majors. Take out his rookie campaign and he's pitched to a 5.00+ ERA over 250+ innings across 4 seasons. He's never posted a better B/9 than 3.0 and his 3.6 career number seems pretty predictive of future performance. 

I hope the O's see something they can do to help him improve or that your theory about the Marlins screwing up pitchers is real and that he performs more in line with his rookie season, but I'm not hopeful.

Edited by bluedog

2 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Eeeww

This can't be serious. Are we really not going to bring up Mayo/Holliday? At this point what is there to lose?

Is the org intentionally trying to alienate the fanbase at this point? Please somebody explain this logic?

1 minute ago, Malike said:

Norby also struck out ~30% of the time in AAA. Stowers will get a chance to prove he can do something at the MLB level, I wasn't super high on either of them.

They both had their flaws and both weren't going to be regulars here, anyone who says otherwise doesn't understand what's going on here.

I liked them both and I hope they both do well in Miami.  Both have a lot of potential.

1 minute ago, casadeozo said:

That’s fair and I like Rogers a LOT as a buy low candidate along with Detmers.

the issue is the cost. Norby was a borderline top 100 prospect in the off season and Tony just said if he was eligible Stowers could be the 3rd best prospect in the system.

Wait, I don't think Tony said that Stowers would be ahead of Holliday, Basallo or Mayo. You surely read that wrong.