Orioles acquire Gregory Soto

eddie83

3 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Seth Johnson will be 26 in September and is walking 4.8 / 9 in AA with a sub 2/1 k/bb while taking up a 40-man roster spot. Closer to a DFA candidate to a prospect at this point.

Yeah, I actually think Chace is the one that hurts me more out of the two in this deal at this point.

• Upvote 1

Just now, e16bball said:

Yeah, I actually think Chace is the one that hurts me more out of the two in this deal at this point.

Love the upside of Chace, but he'd be years away from playing in Baltimore.

Just now, Rbiggs2525 said:

Sucks losing Chance but it’s the price you pay for LH reliever. If Coulombe comes back healthy I feel a lot better about this bullpen. Still need to figure out closer.

Score more than 3 runs then the other team 65% of the time to make it a moot point to have a closer?

Not really a fan of Soto. Always seemed like a bottom tier closer going all the way we back to his Detroit days. 

Splits show he's been good vs lefties (.204 AVG, .284 wOBA) and gets killed by righties (. 305 AVG, .370 wOBA). 

5.51 ERA at home (Philly) and 2.84 on the road. 

Surprisingly, his numbers with RISP are actually better than when the bases are empty or with runners on. 

Maybe the idea is to use him as a situational guy vs lefties only? 

Is it possible that Seth Johnson could have been put in the bullpen and gotten similar results? This whole day feels like a tailspin and the O’s won’t be any better or worse for it.

The most active yet inconsequential deadline in recent memory.

5 minutes ago, Malike said:

Love the upside of Chace, but he'd be years away from playing in Baltimore.

No doubt. I just think the key to the future of Orioles pitching (and not having to have deadline days where we trade for guys like Trevor Rogers and Gregory Soto) is going to be the international arms. That has been the absolute key for Houston in remaining relevant for a decade while (a) not drafting much pitching, (b) not going crazy in FA, and (c) not trading off their high-end prospects. Guys like Framber and Garcia and Urquidy and now Blanco.

These guys who are coming up from the DSL and Complex squads and starting to trickle into Delmarva are the ones who we will need to fill in the gaps created by the draft strategy. Seeing one of the first of those dudes used in a deal for a likely non-difference maker stings a bit extra just from that standpoint.

1 minute ago, e16bball said:

No doubt. I just think the key to the future of Orioles pitching (and not having to have deadline days where we trade for guys like Trevor Rogers and Gregory Soto) is going to be the international arms. That has been the absolute key for Houston in remaining relevant for a decade while (a) not drafting much pitching, (b) not going crazy in FA, and (c) not trading off their high-end prospects. Guys like Framber and Garcia and Urquidy and now Blanco.

These guys who are coming up from the DSL and Complex squads and starting to trickle into Delmarva are the ones who we will need to fill in the gaps created by the draft strategy. Seeing one of the first of those dudes used in a deal for a likely non-difference maker stings a bit extra just from that standpoint.

For sure. I'm hopeful they are going to keep spending money on IFA to help supplement the lack of positive draft position.

1. I'm not sure Soto is very dependable with his 1.6 WHIP???

2. He's lousy against righties.

3. I don't see how this possibly moves the bar much?

4. We gave up 2 good pitching prospects for this?  1 would be bad enough, but 2????

5 minutes ago, doccat said:

1. I'm not sure Soto is very dependable with his 1.6 WHIP???

2. He's lousy against righties.

3. I don't see how this possibly moves the bar much?

4. We gave up 2 good pitching prospects for this?  1 would be bad enough, but 2????