Grade the overall trade deadline 2024

Frobby

Grade the overall trade deadline 2024  

200 members have voted

1. 1. Grade the overall trade deadline 2024

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/01/24 at 06:39

Giving it a B to B+.

We kept the Holy Trinity.

Got a good mid-rotation starter that can maybe tick up to a #2 level spot.  I like Eflin, I'm curious to see what the Orioles can do to tease out better performances from him.  But here's a guy, who, as it is, has great command and doesn't walk a lot of batters.

Soto/Seranthony are good pickups for the pen.  Hopefully we won't have to rely on Kimbrel when the playoffs start.

Rogers can be a good pitcher, again, I'm curious to see what the Orioles can do with him.  I like a LHP in Camden Yards with extreme ground ball rates.

Eloy is a head scratcher, so is Austin Slater.  Not that we had to give up a lot to get those two but I don't see how they made us much better.   Eloy is the 2024 Jesus Aguilar.

I wanted Tanner Scott, but not at the absurd price that the Padres paid for him.  I would have been pretty pissed had we done something similar.

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I am fine with getting Eflin, but this is a poor argument IMO.  It’s akin to the posters who didn’t want Tanner Scott because he was highly erratic when he was in Baltimore before.   Flaherty is having a much better year this year than last, and apparently the Dodgers had no qualms about putting him in a more competitive situation.  I wouldn’t give last year a moment’s thought unless Hyde felt he wasn’t a clubhouse fit, which I haven’t heard.  

I saw the Yankees backed off a Flaherty deal because of medicals.

I would give it an A mainly because we didn’t give up top prospects and we filled all our needs. And, no real stars were traded anyway, so the environment affects the grade for me.

On Rogers, he obviously harnessed something early in his career and was pretty heralded around the league. The thing that bums me out that I didn’t know until after the deadline is his vélo is down 2 MPH and he’s had some shoulder stuff.

Maybe he is what he is the rest of this season and he can try to get healthy subsequent years? The stuff he was playing with in 2021 was pretty nasty.

Be a #5 to finish this year and then see if he can find that previous gear to finish out the contract. I guess that’s what you hope for. But the injuries are always concerning.

Edited by Grt 2BA FL Gator

Been a long time since I have seen this much volume at the deadline for the O's.   Mostly stabilizing the roster.    Raising the floor.

The biggest impact move is trading Norby and calling up Holliday.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't see how they made us much better.   Eloy is the 2024 Jesus Aguilar.

I don't get the comps to Aguilar.  Aguilar was 32 when the O's acquired him.  Jimenez is 27. 

Aguilar's highest career OPS+ was 135, 4 years before the O's acquired him.  Jimenez put up a 141 just 2 years ago.

Aguilar was washed and was a horrible pickup.  Jimenez has had injury issues but I think there's a much better chance that something is still there.

4 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

I don't get the comps to Aguilar.  Aguilar was 32 when the O's acquired him.  Jimenez is 27. 

Aguilar's highest career OPS+ was 135, 4 years before the O's acquired him.  Jimenez put up a 141 just 2 years ago.

Aguilar was washed and was a horrible pickup.  Jimenez has had injury issues but I think there's a much better chance that something is still there.

I think Eloy is pretty washed, even at 27.  I'd love to be wrong and see some sort of a rejuvenation here but I wouldn't bet on it.

1 minute ago, glenn__davis said:

My question with Jimenez is that if he was brought in to exclusively DH and/or provide a RH power bat off the bench, why not just bring up Mayo?  Read recently that Mayo was beginning to get time at 1B in Norfolk, so perhaps Jimenez is a guy we hope to get a heater out of while Mayo keeps getting time time at 1B in Norfolk, and a decision made later about bringing him up.

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

The Jimenez deal is truly baffling. We have a better player in Norfolk and Elias still wants to play service time games with Mayo. 

No doubt Mayo is much better than Jimenez.  I think they got him instead of promoting Mayo for two reasons:

1.  Like you said, service time issues.   They’d rather preserve Mayo’s rookie status for 2024 by keeping him down at least another 2-3 weeks.

2. The role here is basically part time DH vs. LHP.   They’d rather have Mayo in Norfolk playing defense every day than sitting on the bench 2/3 of the time.

That said, I’ll predict that Jimenez only lasts 3-4 weeks before we cut him and bring up Mayo.  By the way, since coming off the IL on June 23, Jimenez has an ISO of .042.   I have serious doubts that he’s healthy.  

• Upvote 1

I like that we have everyone under contract if we want from this roster next year except for Burnes, Santa, McCann, and Slater.  That's a pretty good foundation.  Elias can focus on extending Burnes, or trading for his replacment, and extending Gunnar/Adley.  

Stability.  

26 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think Eloy is pretty washed, even at 27.  I'd love to be wrong and see some sort of a rejuvenation here but I wouldn't bet on it.

Call me crazy but I think we could see a rejuvenation. He could use a change of scenery, Chicago is a team that’s not worth getting out of bed for. 

Considering the market and what ended up being moved around the league (very little high end talent), I think we did very good.  Solid B+.  I think there were some better relievers to be had, so we kind of dropped the ball there, but overall you can't really complain when you see what was available around the league. 

We didn't deal a single top ten prospect, unless you want to sneak Norby in there. 

Edited by ChuckS