Austin Slater 2024

Clicking through his B-Ref, two fun facts.

-He was same high school as DJ Stewart one year apart, so even closer than Mountcastle and Eflin.

-Though a role player, about 40% of his career PA are Batting 1st

Hyde seems to like Gunnar's new spot, seeming upbeat about it again in the post game presser last night.    Cowser probably not leading off against LHP yet.    

It may take a while to find out as looks like bunch of RHP coming up, and he could lose a roster fight to Pache or others in time but I bet Hyde will lead him off at some point.    Right away we'll see if he pinch hits for O'Hearn, Mullins or even Cowser I guess.

1 minute ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Only makes sense to keep one of Slater or Pache.  Pache is the better glove and Slater isn't that good with the bat.  Seems obvious to pick Pache.

I think Elias is after Slaters OBP vs. LHP. 

1 hour ago, Winter said:

I think Elias is after Slaters OBP vs. LHP. 

Wow, only a .474 OPS vs LHP in around 100 PAs this year.  That's well off his career mark.  Maybe Pache does stay around and we try to pass Slater and the 1.5 million he's owed through waivers.  If he gets claimed, someone else has to pay that.  

• 4 weeks later...

I kind of like Slater in the Ryan McKenna role.  On a team with three regular OF’s he could be a pretty decent 4th guy.  We’ve had to play him a little more often than I’d like during his short tenure with the O’s, but he’s shown me he could be a useful bench guy.   Unfortunately, he’s a free agent this offseason.  

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I kind of like Slater in the Ryan McKenna role.  On a team with three regular OF’s he could be a pretty decent 4th guy.  We’ve had to play him a little more often than I’d like during his short tenure with the O’s, but he’s shown me he could be a useful bench guy.   Unfortunately, he’s a free agent this offseason.  

Agreed. I'm not sure it would be a priority for Elias to resign him rather than just use someone like Fabian or a minor league signing, but you never know. He's reliable and does the little things right. I can't really see him getting anything more than 2 years somewhere. 

55 minutes ago, interloper said:

Agreed. I'm not sure it would be a priority for Elias to resign him rather than just use someone like Fabian or a minor league signing, but you never know. He's reliable and does the little things right. I can't really see him getting anything more than 2 years somewhere. 

Oh, I can’t imagine any long term contract for a guy like him. 

Wish he hit a bit more but I like the way he plays and carries himself. Would be a good insurance sign to compete for the fourth outfield spot. Don't see him getting a multiyear deal and much over minium. Let spring training determine if he is worth carrying.