Post Trade Deadline Bullpen Hierarchy

Kimbrel was just used to protect a six run lead against the bottom of the order vs the Jays. This was Hyde's m.o. the last time Kimbrel struggled. 

Assuming everyone is rested, what is your current ranking of bullen guys to protect a one run lead? I've got: 

1. Seranthony

2. Cano

3. Kimbrel

4. Soto

5. Cionel

6. Suarez

7. Akin

• Upvote 1

Will be matchup driven, particularly L/R handedness.  But could also be dependent on whether runners on base (need a K — then Dominguez/Soto) or need a groundout double play (Cano/Coulombe when healthy).

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Say O! said:

Will be matchup driven, particularly L/R handedness.  But could also be dependent on whether runners on base (need a K — then Dominguez/Soto) or need a groundout double play (Cano/Coulombe when healthy).

If matchup based, who is the top LH guy, Soto or Cionel? I agree, Seranthony and Soto would be good guys for extra innings/inherited runner situations. 

There’s no a single elite arm in this pen. They’re all flawed in some fairly big ways.

• Kimbrel can be dominant for weeks and then clueless for weeks
  • Cano needs to pitch often for his sinker to work, but he doesn’t strike out enough people and needs a pristine defense behind him…and the O’s defense has been shoddy lately 
  • Perez is incredibly inconsistent and command escapes him and he walks a bunch
  • Webb can be dominant, but he also gets hit hard and then remembers how to pitch 
  • Soto is great against lefties, mediocre against righties, command issues
  • Dominguez is great against righties, mediocre against lefties
  • Akin can’t be trusted with runners on, also doesn’t do well in high leverage situations
  • Suarez is interesting, but no track record as a bullpen arm with the O’s. TBD.
  • Burch Smith seems like a solid arm, but nothing terribly impressive and not enough of a track record here anyways

Honestly, this bullpen desperately needs Coulombe. But, it’s matchups and who is pitching best lately, tbh.

Edited by LookitsPuck

2 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Don't forget Coloumbe later in the season. Who goes then?

Way too early to speculate.   Who will be doing well then?   Who knows.   Rosters expand in September too.   So many variables, wouldn't even try to guess now.

16 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

If matchup based, who is the top LH guy, Soto or Cionel? I agree, Seranthony and Soto would be good guys for extra innings/inherited runner situations. 

Depends on (a) if rested or not, (b) if have recently been throwing strikes or walking guys (particularly Soto).

6 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

There’s no a single elite arm in this pen. They’re all flawed in some fairly big ways.

• Kimbrel can be dominant for weeks and then clueless for weeks
  • Cano needs to pitch often for his sinker to work, but he doesn’t strike out enough people and needs a pristine defense behind him…and the O’s defense has been shoddy lately 
  • Perez is incredibly inconsistent and command escapes him and he walks a bunch
  • Webb can be dominant, but he also gets hit hard and then remembers how to pitch 
  • Soto is great against lefties, mediocre against righties, command issues
  • Dominguez is great against righties, mediocre against lefties
  • Akin can’t be trusted with runners on, also doesn’t do well in high leverage situations
  • Suarez is interesting, but no track record as a bullpen arm with the O’s. TBD.
  • Burch Smith seems like a solid arm, but nothing terribly impressive and not enough of a track record here anyways

Honestly, this bullpen desperately needs Coulombe. But, it’s matchups and who is pitching best lately, tbh.

Good summary of where we are. Hopefully Kimbrel gets it together but that kind of scares me. I almost want him to keep pitching bad so we aren't tempted to throw him into a Game 7. 

I'm still hoping the folks in the Warehouse have some info that Felix is going to make it back. That would kinda need to happen soon if it's going to have legs.

I was hoping to get a look at Soto today, but no dice. 

While we may not have one dominant guy, what I like is that Hyde now doesn't have to run Webb into the ground because he can actually go to some other guys. 

Haven’t looked up the other answers yet, but:

1) Dedicated closer is stupid. Kimbrel as dedicated closer is also stupid.

2) I don’t trust Cano or Cionel either.

3) Hyde’s BP Management is frequently inexplicable.

Gun to head, though…

Coloumbe, Seranthony, Suarez, Webb, Cano, Cionel, Kimbrel Akin.

Is Baker still around? If so, stick him at the end.