Westburg Fractured Right Hand

RVAOsFan

4 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

The thing about GH is I really don't see him being a bad SS.  I mean to me he has always been a very good SS.  Just for whatever reason, he has an extreme case of the yips right now.  And for anyone who has golfed?  They will know what that means.

Zero confidence and as a result even the simplest things, like a 2 foot putt or fielding a grounder or a throw to first base seems problematic.

He will come out of it.

Never, ever, mention that Y word.   We talk around it but never say the word.  Golfers know we never talk about it.  You are playing a dangerous game using that word.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, OriolesUpAndDowns said:

Never, ever, mention that Y word.   We talk around it but never say the word.  Golfers know we never talk about it.  You are playing a dangerous game using that word.  

They who shall not be named.

30 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

I get that he can play 2B or SS, but he’s likely worse at all three positions than the guys listed above, against both RHP’s and LHP’s. 

Just seems like a waste of a roster spot to have a guy as a potential injury replacement on defense and maybe starting 1/2 times a week, when you could legitimately bring up Mayo to help platoon Holliday against LHP’a and start against RHP’s at 3B.

Not arguing or saying you agree with it, but he seems like more of an injury/defensive replacement than an actual UTIL IF who can provide some sort of advantage to the team. 

We don’t face any left handers for next week at least so unless the other teams change the probables.  With Mullins, Cowser, and Urias all hitting right now we shouldn’t see much change in lineups.  I thought they might go Vavra because he has some experience in the outfield as well where Soto hasn’t played it.  

1 hour ago, HowAboutThat said:

In Posnanski’s book “The 100,” the chapter on Gibson includes two stories about him hitting guys during old timer’s games. 
One was against Pete LaCock hit a grand slam against Gibson during the last inning of his career.

Years later, during an old timers game, Gibson plunked him and later said,”I’ve been waiting years to do that.”

Another was a brush-back against Reggie Jackson, who had also homered against Gibson.

Although he threw inside, Gibson wasn’t a “head hunter.” He firmly defended his position that when a batter was hit, it was his own fault.

“I think most guys who get hit, it’s their fault. They sort of hit themselves. I know when I hit a guy, 99 percent of the time it was because the other team was throwing at guys on my team.”

1 hour ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

The thing about GH is I really don't see him being a bad SS.  I mean to me he has always been a very good SS.  Just for whatever reason, he has an extreme case of the yips right now.  And for anyone who has golfed?  They will know what that means.

Zero confidence and as a result even the simplest things, like a 2 foot putt or fielding a grounder or a throw to first base seems problematic.

He will come out of it.

Yep, he’s shown he can be great at the position.  Just in a funk 

56 minutes ago, OriolesUpAndDowns said:

What does Y word mean?

48 minutes ago, SemperFi said:

Although he threw inside, Gibson wasn’t a “head hunter.” He firmly defended his position that when a batter was hit, it was his own fault.

“I think most guys who get hit, it’s their fault. They sort of hit themselves. I know when I hit a guy, 99 percent of the time it was because the other team was throwing at guys on my team.”

Yep…blame it on the other guy.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Roy Firestone said:

Apparently it is NOT. It's beyond absurd that he hasn't been called up tonight. In fact its a pathetic joke of a non decision.

1.  The Orioles are already having defensive issues.   They don’t need another guy adding to it.

2.  Ramon Urias is swinging the bat well right now.

3. We’re already integrating one rookie into the lineup and we’ve seen how they can struggle.   It’s nice to stagger their debuts.

4. Timing, timing, timing.

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Apparently it is NOT. It's beyond absurd that he hasn't been called up tonight. In fact its a pathetic joke of a non decision.

Roy don't act like you won't be the first one to start a thread freaking out when he costs us a game with a bad defensive play or whatever. 

8 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

1.  The Orioles are already having defensive issues.   They don’t need another guy adding to it.

3. We’re already integrating one rookie into the lineup and we’ve seen how they can struggle.   It’s nice to stagger their debuts.

Urias has a .907 OPS over the last 28 days in 52 at bats. For the short term the best infield alignment is Holliday at 2B, Gunnar at SS and Urias at 3B. Urias has had an uneven season, but he's a better hitter than the likes of Mateo before the end of the season.

If Gunnar starts looking like he did in the first half defensively then I think we see Mayo at 3B. Also the team probably wants to keep Mayo's 2025 rookie eligibility so if he got called up now they would have to option him back to Norfolk.

Better off waiting until the Orioles can keep Mayo for the rest of the season so it doesn't cost him his rookie status.

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s

19 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

giphy.gif

4 hours ago, Tbone83 said:

Somebody on Toronto should have been plunked today. Obviously not intentional by them but come on. McCann gets his face taken off and now we lose one of our top 5 position players?

Let's see......Game 1 on Monday, McCann takes 95 mph to the face.

Yesterday Burnes, who hadn't hit anybody all year, hits 2 Blue Jays.

Today, Jordan Westburg gets hit and sustains a broken bone in his hand.

Hmmmm.............