Hold the Mayo?

Bird Lady

The Orioles could have waited to call up Holliday on September 1 and kept him ROY eligible next year. They didn’t (and it looks like the right decision already), but I think that means they’re more inclined to keep Mayo’s ROY eligibility.

We can have a couple weeks of Urias with Soto backing up while Mayo goes back to playing 3B everyday in Norfolk, then call him up August 16 (or whatever exact day it is with less than 45 days remaining).

• Upvote 1

Defense matters. I'd love to see Mayo but we just spent a lot of capital to get to the playoffs. We just can't get to play with all our toys when we want to. Plus, ROY matters. Mateo and Westburg out for extended time and Norby cashed in for pitching.  Gunnar working on at least an error a day. Holliday has to adjust. Thank heavens we still have Sneaky Pop. I understand this move. Soto covers. What did we do to The Baseball Gods? Heal quick Westy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, flaoriolesfan said:

What is that date?

We'll see how close they cut it, but short term motivator is Mayo at 44 or fewer days of service time entering 2025.

Tomorrow is August 1, Game 162 is scheduled for Sunday 9/29.    60 more days.   I think Saturday 8/17 to Sunday 9/29 would be 44 total calendar days.

Saturday is the middle of a Boston series at OPACY, so mid-series a little bold.    Our visit to the Mets begins Monday 8/19.

Cowser got 43 last year.

The one wildcard is if Mayo was "first Bat out" of the envisioned Starting 9, and Westburg's sudden absence promotes him to the October first string.     Then maybe the tradeoffs between preparing to compete with the world's best available pitchers and asset maximization might shift some.    Gunnar Henderson and Adley Rutschman may care slightly about this.

33 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Now let's see if Mayo plays 3B for the next two weeks. 

Mayo should be playing 3rd. He’s 3rd on the depth chart at 1B behind Mounty and O’Hearn. He’s 4th or 5th on the depth chart at DH behind Mounty, O’Hearn, Jimenez, and Kjerstad. 

5 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Mayo will be a future OF and perhaps a 1B if they do something with Mountcastle . 

When people accept that it will be easier.  

Mayo will be a future DH what will get occasional at bats at 1B and in the outfield.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Mayo will be a future DH what will get occasional at bats at 1B and in the outfield.

Perhaps. It’s not going to be 3rd. 

Roch said the other day they want to try him in OF during spring.