Keeler Morfe 2024

Tony-OH

Saturday un-surprise - MiLB lists him probable for tomorrow.    Weather to worry about?

I think there was one year Shohei was intended as a Sunday pitcher, and it only took April about 3 weeks to mess up an exquisitely scientifically crafted plan.     Curious to see what LAD comes up with for him, Yamamoto and perhaps Sasaki next season.

Morfe was 60 pitches last Saturday.

On 8/15/2024 at 11:25 AM, Tony-OH said:

Chapman is an oddity, similar to Nolan Ryan when it comes to throwing heat at an advanced age and not getting hurt. 

It would be interesting to see if someone has studied their mechanics to see if it's mechanics related, or just that they are physical freaks.

Morfe throwing as hard as he is right now seems to be an early physical freak because there are not many 18-year old who can hit 101 MPH (His reported high this season). The question like with all young pitchers is whether he will hold up. 

We also don't know yet whether babying their pitch counts and innings like the Orioles do works or not. It's not like the Orioles system is immune to TJ surgeries and injuries to their pitchers at the major and minor league levels.

This guy Chris O’Leary has his own page on pitching mechanics. I heard him one day on the Junkies which I never normally listen to. He basically predicted this epidemic and his main point is the inverted W. He says the way pitchers are pitching now is like revving your car up to 4500 rpm all the time. You may have a better engine to handle it but it’s not about if it will break down but when it will break down. He talks about Verlander and Chapman as only active pitchers he would recommend mechanics off the top of his head. He continues to talk about how Verlander built healthy velocity. The Junkies asked specifically about Grayson Rodriguez and he responded that he does not like it at all. Here we are hoping he will be back for postseason. You can find some of his interviews on Audacy app.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

This guy Chris O’Leary has his own page on pitching mechanics. I heard him one day on the Junkies which I never normally listen to. He basically predicted this epidemic and his main point is the inverted W. He says the way pitchers are pitching now is like revving your car up to 4500 rpm all the time. You may have a better engine to handle it but it’s not about if it will break down but when it will break down. He talks about Verlander and Chapman as only active pitchers he would recommend mechanics off the top of his head. He continues to talk about how Verlander built healthy velocity. The Junkies asked specifically about Grayson Rodriguez and he responded that he does not like it at all. Here we are hoping he will be back for postseason. You can find some of his interviews on Audacy app.

Is O'Leary still around? I'm pretty sure his inverted W theory was debunked when a study showed there was no correlation to more Tommy John surgeries for pitchers with an inverted W then without. 

I don't follow it all that closely, but I definitely remember his name and definitely remember the counter argument/studies. I also remember for years looking for the inverted W in pitchers to express concerns until the counter study came out. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Is O'Leary still around? I'm pretty sure his inverted W theory was debunked when a study showed there was no correlation to more Tommy John surgeries for pitchers with an inverted W then without. 

I don't follow it all that closely, but I definitely remember his name and definitely remember the counter argument/studies. I also remember for year looking for the inverted W in pitchers to express concerns until the counter study came out. 

He has been wrong a lot. JTrea was obsessed with the guy and thought he was some god of pitching but he has been wrong plenty…and he has also been right plenty.

There is no one formula or one way that things are going to be an issue.  

35 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He has been wrong a lot. JTrea was obsessed with the guy and thought he was some god of pitching but he has been wrong plenty…and he has also been right plenty.

There is no one formula or one way that things are going to be an issue.  

The theory makes sense to me. Players using their plant leg and elbow as a pulley system to gain extra velocity/spin. Obviously there are plenty of factors like flexibility. Compare Pedro Martinez who was like Gumby, to Matt Harvey who was stiff as a board. 

5 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

The theory makes sense to me. Players using their plant leg and elbow as a pulley system to gain extra velocity/spin. Obviously there are plenty of factors like flexibility. Compare Pedro Martinez who was like Gumby, to Matt Harvey who was stiff as a board. 

I don’t doubt that there is validity to it. But he makes everything as an absolute. ie, if mechanics are X than you are will have surgery Y and that has been debunked.

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't follow it all that closely, but I definitely remember his name and definitely remember the counter argument/studies. I also remember for years looking for the inverted W in pitchers to express concerns until the counter study came out. 

Yea, the inverted W theory has been debunked. 

It was a fun week, and I'm still excited for next Saturday, but Coby Mayo and Samuel Basallo can breathe a little easier this morning hanging on to their top list placements.    Dylan Bundy's 0.00 ERA streak is safe.

There may be a season Elias is challenged to use him earlier, but even in a very good scenario that is probably 2026 more than 2025. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/26/2024 at 5:12 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

Our next best shot of having a 19/20 year old phenom?  Gunnar, Holliday, Basallo, and potentially Morfe?

19-20 phenom is a tall order! Gunnar was 21 when he made the big leagues. Holliday is 20 but isn't really having an impact yet. Basallo is on track and Morfe is interesting for sure.