8/11 @Tampa Bay

eddie83

Just now, Roy Firestone said:

swing and miss....foul ball..then a K..is his pattern

He's in 1-2, 0-2 counts every at bat.

The first at bat he got started off with a 92 MPH fastball that he was late on and swung through. Then in the second at bat, sure as a clock is right twice a day, he got started off on a low-outside changeup that he swung through. 

Basically he's pressing and out thinking himself, but what I don't like is he's constantly trying to pull everything. Why these guys don't start with the idea of going oppo early on until they get a couple of knocks instead of trying to hit everything 900 miles pullside.

• Upvote 1

Is anyone really surprised given what we saw with Holliday 1.0? Machado is the only guy I can remember in a long time coming up and doing really well and actually helping the team in his initial debut. These guys have looked like they have never played professional baseball at any level,

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Mountcastle still sometimes looks like he's never seen a changeup.

I think it’s safe to say this is just who he is at this point. We’ve probably missed an opportunity to trade him at peak value 

Just now, RavensNOsGuy said:

Is anyone really surprised given what we saw with Holliday 1.0? Machado is the only guy I can remember in a long time coming up and doing really well and actually helping the team in his initial debut. These guys have looked like they have never played professional baseball at any level,

I think we’ll be ok somehow. 

When do we start to wonder why most of the Orioles prospects have really struggle when they come up? I get it that it takes a bit sometimes, but why completely clueless? 

Why would they not instill that oppo approach, especially when it's clear the pitchers are pitching these guy there early on?

1 minute ago, RavensNOsGuy said:

Gunnar and Westburg both did pretty well immediately.   Adley, Cowser, Stowers, Holliday, and now Mayo all had really bad initial stretches.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

When do we start to wonder why most of the Orioles prospects have really struggle when they come up? I get it that it takes a bit sometimes, but why completely clueless? 

Why would they not instill that oppo approach, especially when it's clear the pitchers are pitching these guy there early on?

I think it’s more about how big of a gap it is now. We send Cole Irvin and Povich down to become Randy Johnson/Tom Glavine.

• Upvote 1