I hate watching pitchers who can’t hold runners

Frobby

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think holding runners on is overrated.

The goal should be keeping guys off base in the first place.

Mostly when guys are on base I'd rather the pitcher spend most of his energy and focus on the hitter.

Every successful stolen base is worth 0.3 runs.  That's not nothing.

38 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Without question. Can’t hold forever or throw over as much as you want.  

Holding the ball is actually one of the most effective ways at slowing basestealers, and that's completely off the table now.

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

The Orioles are a team that mostly does all of those things.

I agree. My concern is the "mostly" part. I'm picking a nit here but mostly means there are missed opportunities to do things that help win games and don't rely on talent or luck. The old saying that good team defense doesn't fall into slumps is probably overblown a bit, but the essence of the sentiment is that there are fundamental things, that if obsessively attended to, help win ball games. Mostly doesn't cut it. 

Thanks for reading my rant.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Something can be both overrated and worth more than nothing.

I'm actually surprised honestly that a stolen base is worth that much.  In fact, a stolen base is more valuable than a walk to the offensive team, which makes sense.

5 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

I agree. My concern is the "mostly" part. I'm picking a nit here but mostly means there are missed opportunities to do things that help win games and don't rely on talent or luck. The old saying that good team defense doesn't fall into slumps is probably overblown a bit, but the essence of the sentiment is that there are fundamental things, that if obsessively attended to, help win ball games. Mostly doesn't cut it. 

Thanks for reading my rant.

Other than the defense is not as good as it was with the injuries to Westburg and Mateo, and Gunnar's slump (which hopefully appears over), this team is pretty solid defensively.

And it's far to point out that a couple guys on the team are easy to run against, but it's certainly not a staff-wide problem.

Thist team does those "little things" to win games.  It does not do them perfectly and 100% of the time, but that is a standard that no team lives up to.

This is a good team that is talented and fundamentally sound.  If they weren't we'd have a problem.

2 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I'm actually surprised honestly that a stolen base is worth that much.  In fact, a stolen base is more valuable than a walk to the offensive team, which makes sense.

But you need a baserunner to get the steal (in the vast majority of cases). 

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

But you need a baserunner to get the steal (in the vast majority of cases). 

Sure, but I'm just telling you what the math says.

Personally, I'm more annoyed by walks than giving up stolen bases, but the math says I shouldn't be, which is counterintuitive.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Today was the first time all year that Perez blew a lead.   

I admitted in an earlier comment that I’m terrible at internet searches, so forgive me for asking…

how many times has Perez come into a game with a one run lead to protect?

Yesterday he was wild, threw 16 pitches, only 6 for strikes, allowed two walks, and an inherited runner to score, so not blowing a lead is maybe more a function of the situation he comes in to, rather than any particular virtue on his part.

Even if he’s protected a lot of one run leads, it doesn’t really change the fact that bringing him in today was not a good decision.

1 minute ago, emmett16 said:

Burnes, Suarez, Kimbrel are all very slow.  Seems like some low hanging fruit to make some adjustments.  Word is out you can run on the O’s. 

Kimbrel has been in the league for 15 years and you want him to make some adjustments?

I'd rather he stop walking so many.

8 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Sure, but I'm just telling you what the math says.

Personally, I'm more annoyed by walks than giving up stolen bases, but the math says I shouldn't be, which is counterintuitive.

Runner on first what would you rather have happen?

The runner steal second.

The batter reach first via walk.

Edited by Can_of_corn
Had my words in the wrong order.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Kimbrel has been in the league for 15 years and you want him to make some adjustments?

I'd rather he stop walking so many.

I want to see them change something up.  Could be many things.  

Of course walks are killers.  No doubt.