2 moves that should be coming soon

wildcard

8 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Agreed, but absent injury I would be shocked if he doesn't get at least a few more starts to see what he can do. He had a 3.38 in June and 3.56 in July. 

I was going to cite that statistic, too, but it's probably wise to keep in mind another stat from that period: a significant drop in innings per start--over 6 in June, under 5 in July. Might be a sign of the hidden injury that some posters in this thread have suggested.

2 minutes ago, LA2 said:

I was going to cite that statistic, too, but it's probably wise to keep in mind another stat from that period: a significant drop in innings per start--over 6 in June, under 5 in July. Might be a sign of the hidden injury that some posters in this thread have suggested.

If he is injured they should certainly make a move, but he would go to IL, not optioned.

On 8/14/2024 at 7:23 AM, wildcard said:

The thing I like most about Trevor Rogers is he has three options.    And I think he is one more bad start away from being sent down.

French said after Rogers was acquired that there were a few small changes that they thought he could implement right away that would help him.   But there were bigger changes that they would work in the off season to make him better.

Well the small changes don't appear to have helped much.   And there is little reason to wait until the off season for the bigger changes.   Send him to AAA and get on with it.

Elias have Irvin, Povich and Young.   The way Rogers is pitching they can't be much worse and hopefully would be better.

The Second move is Mayo down and JD Davis up.   There's  no use to have Mayo sitting the bench in the majors.  Send him to AAA and have him play 1B.   Davis may hit better than Urias and at this point they are probably both average defensive 3B.

The O's need a boost to get passed being a .500 team that they have been since early July.   I would try these two moves.

Well, there is the Mayo move.    The rest is percolating.

On 8/14/2024 at 7:23 AM, wildcard said:

The thing I like most about Trevor Rogers is he has three options.    And I think he is one more bad start away from being sent down.

French said after Rogers was acquired that there were a few small changes that they thought he could implement right away that would help him.   But there were bigger changes that they would work in the off season to make him better.

Well the small changes don't appear to have helped much.   And there is little reason to wait until the off season for the bigger changes.   Send him to AAA and get on with it.

Elias have Irvin, Povich and Young.   The way Rogers is pitching they can't be much worse and hopefully would be better.

The Second move is Mayo down and JD Davis up.   There's  no use to have Mayo sitting the bench in the majors.  Send him to AAA and have him play 1B.   Davis may hit better than Urias and at this point they are probably both average defensive 3B.

The O's need a boost to get passed being a .500 team that they have been since early July.   I would try these two moves.

I think Rogers will get a few more starts, but I agree that he needs to perform to stay in the rotation. Povich has been ok his last few times out and either he or Brandon Young could get looks if Rogers can't limit base runners and more importantly, runs from being scored. 

I do think the Orioles believe they can fix him this offseason, but I have not been impressed with his stuff at all. 

38 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I think Rogers will get a few more starts, but I agree that he needs to perform to stay in the rotation. Irvin has been ok his last few times out and either he or Brandon Young could get looks if Rogers can't limit base runners and more importantly, runs from being scored. 

I do think the Orioles believe they can fix him this offseason, but I have not been impressed with his stuff at all. 

If every Rogers start is basically a punt game, then I'd much rather have a look at Young while doing so. 

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

If every Rogers start is basically a punt game, then I'd much rather have a look at Young while doing so. 

I think @Tony-OHis spot on here.  They won’t keep Rogers in the rotation if they think “every Rogers start is basically a punt game.”  But they aren’t going to draw that conclusion based on three starts, one of which was a few hours after he joined the team and one of which was decent.  He’ll get a few more - I’d say three - before they decide anything.   

And by the way, I’m not particularly impressed with Rogers, either.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

I think Rogers will get a few more starts, but I agree that he needs to perform to stay in the rotation. Povich has been ok his last few times out and either he or Brandon Young could get looks if Rogers can't limit base runners and more importantly, runs from being scored. 

This is concerning. image.png.8b16d3749cba7034f605eb9c1b4c4689.png

21 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

This is concerning. image.png.8b16d3749cba7034f605eb9c1b4c4689.png

100%. I noticed the velocity had really fell off in his last three games with Miami, which you think would have been a red flag for Elias and the Orioles. Again, I'm not ready to throw in the towel on him this season yet, but forget the 28 runners he's allowed in 14.1 innings over his first three starts, the stuff is just yuck. 

There's a reason his stacast leaderboard looks like this:

image.png.aca2185611693059a3b4a63738729a9a.png

I generally give Elias the benefit of the doubt that they see something outside of the numbers when they get a guy like this, but they traded two guys who are legitimate major league hitting prospects for him during a pennant race.

He's allowed a 47% hard hit rate in his first three starts and while his FIP 4.78 is better than his 7.53, his 8% swing strike rate tells me he's not fooling a lot of guys.

I hope they can figure out something, because he's going to have to pitch with almost perfect command to get by with this stuff. 

I won't lie, Povich may have struggled walking guys, but he didn't get hit hard, and I felt better with him on the mound than Rogers so far.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

100%. I noticed the velocity had really fell off in his last three games with Miami, which you think would have been a red flag for Elias and the Orioles. Again, I'm not ready to throw in the towel on him this season yet, but forget the 28 runners he's allowed in 14.1 innings over his first three starts, the stuff is just yuck. 

There's a reason his stacast leaderboard looks like this:

image.png.aca2185611693059a3b4a63738729a9a.png

I generally give Elias the benefit of the doubt that they see something outside of the numbers when they get a guy like this, but they traded two guys who are legitimate major league hitting prospects for him during a pennant race.

He's allowed a 47% hard hit rate in his first three starts and while his FIP 4.78 is better than his 7.53, his 8% swing strike rate tells me he's not fooling a lot of guys.

I hope they can figure out something, because he's going to have to pitch with almost perfect command to get by with this stuff. 

I won't lie, Povich may have struggled walking guys, but he didn't get hit hard, and I felt better with him on the mound than Rogers so far.

That's the worst statcast leaderboard I've ever seen. Not the return I wanted for Norby.