8/14 -- Nationals vs Orioles

SteveA

Wow.  Was this the Orioles ?

Bunt single ,  Solid outing from Kremer, a clutch RBI,  a Mayo basehit, a sac fly RBI, Rutchman throws out a runner, 3 innings of relief shutdown, no errors 

Lots of fundamentals executed well.  Haven’t seen that in a long time 

• Upvote 1

Rule question.  I should know the answer to this but I don’t.  

Say at the end of an inning, you want to change relief pitchers due to match ups, but you would like to use the original pitcher later.  Could you make him the DH temporarily?

42 minutes ago, Wavetrapper said:

Rule question.  I should know the answer to this but I don’t.  

Say at the end of an inning, you want to change relief pitchers due to match ups, but you would like to use the original pitcher later.  Could you make him the DH temporarily?

The pitcher can pinch-hit or pinch-run for the DH, but if he does so, he remains in the batting order as the pitcher and the team cannot use a DH for the rest of the game.

So you can't make him the DH temporarily.  If you use a pitcher as a pinch-hitter for the DH,  the pitcher goes into the batting order in the spot formerly occupied by the DH.

I guess theoretically, if the DH is due to bat in the half-inning before you want to match up with another reliever, you could pinch-hit the pitcher for the DH in that half inning, then move him temporarily into the field when the next inning starts.  For example, you could make the original pitcher the right fielder, and the new pitcher would then be inserted into the batting order in the spot formerly occupied by the right fielder.  Then, after the reliever has (hopefully) achieved the desired matchup results, you could put the original pitcher back on the mound and bring in a new right fielder.

So it could be done, but boy, the second-guessing you'd face if you made those kinds of moves and they didn't work out.

Thanks for the great explanation.  Yeah, I was trying to figure out a way to prevent him from going out into the field.  

I think I have seen situations where the pitcher replaced an outfielder and then came back to the mound.   

Thanks again 

Don't know if anybody's still paying attention to this discussion, but your suggestion brings up another point.

Suppose the manager sends the pitcher to the outfield and brings in a matchup reliever when the team takes the field for the beginning of an inning.  The rule says this terminates the DH rule for the game.

That means the original pitcher, now outfielder, must be inserted into the lineup.

And the relief pitcher must also be inserted into the lineup.

Question is, which spot in the lineup goes to the original pitcher and which goes to the reliever?  Does the original pitcher bat in the spot formerly occupied by the outfielder, and the reliever in the spot formerly occupied by the DH?  Is it the other way around?  Or does the manager get the option of where he wants to put them in the order?  The rule doesn't seem to address this point.