Thinking about next year

DocJJ

24 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Fair, and I don't necessarily disagree but we also don't know what this team will look like in 2028.  A lot of stuff can happen between now and then.

Exactly. Nothing is a given in this sport except every season will bring surprises. Forv example, I'm pumped and hope to see what our young international signs will look like by then and how they will impact the major league roster. I feel Elias has and will continue to deliver on his promise that we will be competative. I'll take that and the crap shoot that if in the playoffs anything can happen. Just get me there baby! I am not window shopping!

• Upvote 1

I hope the O's trade Mountcastle and either McDermott/Povich for a legit #2/3 SP, then sign a legit #1 SP (like a Burnes or Max Fried).  I think we need to keep about half the RP and move on from the rest to find some young optionable options.  Not easy to do but can be done via trade if we have anything left in the minors to do so. For batters, we need a swiss army knife right-handed OF for the bench.

I'd like to see something like the following:

OF - Cowser, Mullins, Kjerstad, bench/DH - FA: Tommy Pham (minors depth will likely be Beavers, Bradfield, Fabian, Josenberger - if any make it to AAA)

IF - O'Hearn, Holliday, Henderson, Westburg, bench/DH - Mayo, Mateo, Urias (minors depth is getting weak with Soto, Vavra, Maton, JD Davis, Segura)

C - Rutschman, bench/DH - (FA: Re-sign McCann or pick up a cheap option) - hopefully Basallo makes it to AAA next year so he can be a real option at C/1B/DH in 2026

SP - FA: Burnes/Fried, Trade for #2/3, Rodriguez, Efflin, Rogers  (minors in my scenario would be Cole Irvin, McDermott/Povich, Brandon Young, Patrick Reilly)

RP - Bautista, Cano, Perez, Coulombe, Dominguez, Webb, Soto, Suarez (hopefully they can trade or pick up some younger RP with options that can backfill a group like this.. I have zero confidence in these guys:  Akin, Baker, Vespi, Zimmerman

Edited by EERinthe804

11 minutes ago, EERinthe804 said:

I hope the O's trade Mountcastle and either McDermott/Povich for a legit #2/3 SP, then sign a legit #1 SP (like a Burnes or Max Fried).  I think we need to keep about half the RP and move on from the rest to find some young optionable options.  Not easy to do but can be done via trade if we have anything left in the minors to do so. For batters, we need a swiss army knife right-handed OF for the bench.

Would you trade a #2 or even #3 pitcher for that package?

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Would you trade a #2 or even #3 pitcher for that package?

It depends on if my team is expected to be in contention and/or if the player traded was on the last year of his contract.

O's got Efflin with more than a year remaining on his contract for an Os top 10 prospect, top 20 prospect, and a 3rd prospect outside the top 20.  I think Mountcastle has value to someone with 2 years left on his contract + an Os top 10 prospect.

Edited by EERinthe804
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, clapdiddy said:

My take:

1.  We will acquire another #1 (or reasonable facsimile) via trade.

2.  We will replace Santander with someone internally unless he takes a VERY team friendly deal.

3.  I think we need more than 1 reliever.  Preferably 1 VERY good and 2 good ones.  

Who are we trading? They clearly don't want to trade Mayo or Bassallo. Does Heston have any value left?