Orioles, Matt Bowman Agree To Minor League Deal

oriolediehard

On 8/16/2024 at 12:55 PM, HowAboutThat said:

Yes, there was a roster crunch, but at the time I think there was at least one guy in the pen who could have been optioned, I don’t remember who it was.

I thought it was Burch Smith. Even today, FanGraphs is showing an option for him, but some folks here were claiming he was out of options.

7 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

I thought it was Burch Smith. Even today, FanGraphs is showing an option for him, but some folks here were claiming he was out of options.

I believe the issue is that he reached 5 years service time this year, so he can’t be optioned without his consent (which he would have no reason to give).  Roch confirmed this morning that he can’t be optioned.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Warehouse said:

I believe the issue is that he reached 5 years service time this year, so he can’t be optioned without his consent (which he would have no reason to give).  Roch confirmed this morning that he can’t be optioned.

Thank you! 

1 hour ago, truespectra said:

Matt Bowman!! St Albans rich kid coming through in the clutch! The pride of Chevy Chase!! I wonder if Eve had anything to do with this pickup, they are practically neighbors 

Eve’s strictly a public school girl.  

It was a great performance.    The angle of his body I thought accentuated the sweeper nicely.    Snap impression was it is kind of a trick hitters would figure out after a few minutes, but we've come to the point of the season a few minutes at a time is sufficient.

2 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

It was a great performance.    The angle of his body I thought accentuated the sweeper nicely.    Snap impression was it is kind of a trick hitters would figure out after a few minutes, but we've come to the point of the season a few minutes at a time is sufficient.

Agree, Dodgers may not see him again this series

1 hour ago, truespectra said:

Matt Bowman!! St Albans rich kid coming through in the clutch! The pride of Chevy Chase!! I wonder if Eve had anything to do with this pickup, they are practically neighbors 

He is old enough (and she is young enough) that they may well have known each other, lol. 

29 minutes ago, truespectra said:

Growing up in Olney in the 80s, we always joked  that Whitman, BCC and Churchill were private schools compared to Sherwood 😂

Oh, I get it.  I’m a Churchill graduate and my kids went to Whitman.  But let’s just say those three schools are a tad less expensive to attend than St. Albans.  😉

On 8/28/2024 at 8:33 AM, truespectra said:

Growing up in Olney in the 80s, we always joked  that Whitman, BCC and Churchill were private schools compared to Sherwood 😂

Sadly, I went to Whitman. Some of the kids there acted like it was a private school. In your dreams, bozos.

I didn’t know where to post this question so I’m bumping this thread, I guess.
I’m interested in whether the experts think that Matt Bowman is worth keeping? I think he’s been very good, and I think most of the other guys in the pen are not, but I think they should keep him for next season, and I’m wondering what the crowd thinks?

1 hour ago, HowAboutThat said:

I’m interested in whether the experts think that Matt Bowman is worth keeping? I think he’s been very good, and I think most of the other guys in the pen are not, but I think they should keep him for next season, and I’m wondering what the crowd thinks?

No he is a middle reliever at best and stuff is not good enough to be back end.  He has walked 15 guys in 21 innings on the year as well because he has to try and nibble to get guys out.  He’s a dime a dozen reliever that is on his 5th team so far this year at 33.  This is who he is a guy teams pick him up here and there but gets bounced around the league depending if a team has an injury or two to fill in here and there.  

2 hours ago, HowAboutThat said:

He has 0.7 WAR in 6 years of opportunities. He has pitched well for us but at some point he will have a rough stretch and we will get rid of him. I doubt we bring him back, but if we do it will be a short leash.

I appreciate the comments, but given how desperate we are for pitching, and how desperate everybody else is for pitching, and the fact that Bowman has been good for us, while other guys have not, I see no argument for not bringing him back next season, and I certainly expect him to be on the playoff roster.

I loathe platitudes, but he’s been good enough with the O’s that it’s possible he just “figured something out,” or that the lauded “development staff” tweaked something to everyone’s benefit.

I look forward to seeing more of him and less of Perez.

Edited by HowAboutThat
Typo