Selby up, Povich down

eddie83

1 minute ago, Just Regular said:

I wonder how transparent the org is with Povich on a planned 1-day gig.    Did he know before the game?

Hyde pregame talked about the last 40 games being 40 day to day scenarios, especially outside the top 7 pitchers on the roster.

I would be surprised if they weren’t. 

The Orioles trades Trey McGough as part of the deal for Jimenez. He has been lights out as a left-handed reliever this year in AAA. 

image.thumb.png.8f0f5fa4c8161c5097d3a55a351beed4.png

His stuff doesn't overwhelm you when you watch him but he's been pretty dang effective. I would feel much better about him coming up than Selby.

5 minutes ago, rm5678 said:

Anyone know if Povich can be added to the expanded roster on Sept 1st, or does he still need to wait the full 15 days before coming back?

Sept 1 is 14 days from now.  And it is the last day of a West coast road trip.  The Orioles are home the next day which would be 15 days from now.

So its only a matter of just one day.    If the answer to your question is no, all it means is they can't fly him out to LA to start on Sunday Sept 1 and then fly back to Baltimore with the team.  No big deal IMO.  I doubt they would do that anyway.

2 hours ago, eddie83 said:

The entire sport is full of effective relief arms who struggled elsewhere. I’m not saying this guy is going to be any good. I’m saying it’s not a big deal or bad they called him up.  

He’s been awful in AAA

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm sure Selby and his career 8.67 ERA in 27 major league innings and his 5.52 ERA in Triple-A between three organizations will be an absolute game changer for the Orioles bullpen.

He's mostly a fastball curveball guy. The curveball has a ton of vertical movement but he doesn't throw is much for strikes and MLB and even Triple-A batters have been able to lay off the pitch.

He clearly is a guy they can bring up for a few days and then DFA so I guess he's here to give some guys a break in the pen. Guess Hyde realizes he shouldn't run guys out three days in a row. 

These are the kinds of guys you have to use when you've never drafted and developed a major league pitcher.

Exactly right.  The cheapest way to build an effective bullpen is to use guys from your own system who have 1 or 2 really good pitches but can't stick as a starter.