8/19 @ NY Mets

eddie83

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Just now?

You didn't google it the first time Moose used it?

Nah, I actually thought I knew what it meant.  Turns out I didn't. I just recently used the Shakespeare Insult Kit again for a humorous email and then suddenly remember just now it was on there.

3 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

Yep - everything but stringing some good at bats and hits together and using speed on the basepaths to put pressure on the defense and take extra bases like the first two months of the season.  This offense is in some kind of funk. 

What are you complaining about? The runs came after doubles, and a good job of moving up on a grounder via Mountcastle.

2 minutes ago, Emory Eagle said:

OK, we're officially back in business.  Interesting that of all the veterans on the team fighting for their jobs, it's Ramon Urias making the best case.   

For all the hate that Urias has gotten all year he's had a good year--for a utility player.  I think some guys here expect utility guys to put up better stats than average  starters.  If they did that, they would be starters somewhere.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• We don’t have a current combo that is ideal. You have to go with the best possible grouping you have.
    • Yep, we're in agreement on the 70 rWAR threshold.  A championship would help Manny's cause, though I'm not sure if that's in the cards for him in the near future.  He needs a big moment on a big stage, too....as silly as that sounds, I do believe it matters in the eyes of some voters. Not to derail, but Whitaker is a guy that belongs in the HoF, too.  I'm not sure why Grich never got serious consideration.
    • I’ve always felt that 70 rWAR was the line between having to justify why someone shouldn’t be in the HOF versus justifying why they should.  In other words, if you’re over 70, there needs to be a reason for you NOT to be in.  There are 70 position players over 70 WAR, and the only ones not in are Bonds, Pujols (not yet eligible), Trout (not yet eligible), Rose, Bill Dahlen, Lou Whitaker, Raffy Palmeiro, Bobby Grich, and Carlos Beltran.  Really, only Dahlen, Whitaker and Grich have no obvious reason why they’re not in.  And I wouldn’t bet against Beltran getting in eventually.  He’s gotten  46% and 57% of the ballots his first two tries.  
    • Recency bias: "Is a common distorting effect within systems of performance appraisal. It refers to the appraiser assessing employee performance, not on work undertaken across the full performance management cycle, but only on recent events or activities that can be readily recalled. Recency bias can be countered by keeping a record of appraisee performance over the full period of work that is being appraised." https://www.oxfordreference.com/display/10.1093/oi/authority.20110803100407676
    • You're right, I shouldn't assume he's a hole. More of an unknown (11 career AB). Still, an outfield of Slater, one unknown, and one hole isn't exactly ideal. I think Mountcastle 1B/Santander RF is pretty clearly preferable to Santander 1B/Kjerstad RF vs LHP when you include defense.
    • I forget which game it was (Fri or Sat) but he also pulled a ball foul down the LF line that nearly snuck inside the pole. So he was close to having 2 HRs in the series
    • I think the "not improving" idea is buoyed by some recency bias. Year over year, we've got Gunnar .814->.910, Westburg .715->.815, Cowser .433->.756. Kjerstad, Mayo, and Holliday haven't found their big league footing, but all spent most of the year at AAA and did better there than they did last year. Milder praise, but still not a given. Rutschman is the only one of the group who categorically took a step back this year.  I do think there's something to be questioned with how several of these guys (Cowser, Holliday, Mayo namely) have not just struggled but been downright awful in their first season of MLB exposure. To me the Holliday/Mayo flops have been the biggest disappointment of the year, or at least right there with the pitching injuries. 
  • Popular Contributors