A few things

bigbird

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Making him a 5th starter would be a success.

I don't expect him to ever be as good as he showed his first two months or so, but I don't think it's unreasonable to think that he couldn't settle in as a solid 4th or 5th starter. He certainly has better stuff than alot of people who hold those positions.

Seems indisputable - a waiver claim that becomes a good #5 starter? That's a success.

I mean, there are degrees and orders of success. But how could that not be?

Well, if you don't think he is a 2/3 starter and that he walks on water, you are wrong about Guthrie.

That's almost an oximoron. See what kind of stats SG predicts for Guthrie in the future. It's more what you'd call, a run of the mill 5th starter. Someone, like Brian Burres for instance, who is a borderline ML starter. Those kinds of guys are very replaceable.

If Burres gets better command, he has the ability to be every bit the pitcher, if not better, than Guthrie is.

That's why he is who he is. So IF Guthrie regains the stuff he had earlier in the season and the same command that he'll be a #1 starter. There's no doubt that when both are on their games that Guthrie is the more talented pitcher with the higher ceiling. Anyone who would disagree with that would have to have their head in a place which requires outstanding flexibility. How limber are you?

Well, to think Guthrie will average 1.5 walks per 9 IP, when he has NEVER done that in his career is a joke.

So, he won't have that command. That should be obvious.

That's why he is who he is. So IF Guthrie regains the stuff he had earlier in the season and the same command that he'll be a #1 starter. There's no doubt that when both are on their games that Guthrie is the more talented pitcher with the higher ceiling. Anyone who would disagree with that would have to have their head in a place which requires outstanding flexibility. How limber are you?

This is true, too. A Guthrie who throws 97-98 w/ movement and location is more valuable than a Burres with command, I think.

Archived