We're going to be okay.

interloper

15 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

Gunnar has dropped his OPS from .988 on 7/7 to .904 now. I'm not implying that he's not having a great season,  but he's been down in a time where they really need him at the plate. 

Adley almost has to have an injury explanation for his downturn. 

He was tied with Judge with 5.4 WAR on 6/30. He was arguably the best player in the league. Since then, he’s 55th in WAR, tied with Masataka Yoshida and Geraldo Perdomo (who both have less PA’s in that time span) among others. 

He is no doubt having a great season but he went from being on pace for almost 11 WAR, to now looking like he will be lucky to finish with 7.5 WAR. Obviously still great, but the difference between an 11 WAR player and a 4 WAR player (which he has played like the last 2 months) is gigantic. Imagine the Royals with a merely solid Bobby Witt or the Yankees with a pretty good Aaron Judge. Those teams would be in bad shape. Now imagine their second best player has been below replacement level for 2 months and their ace has pitched to a 5 ERA in that same time frame. That is pretty much the Orioles and it explains most of their struggles. 

The bullpen, the SP’s, the injuries, and whatever else hardly matters if your best players aren’t your best players. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

He was tied with Judge with 5.4 WAR on 6/30. He was arguably the best player in the league. Since then, he’s 55th in WAR, tied with Masataka Yoshida and Geraldo Perdomo (who both have less PA’s in that time span) among others. 

He is no doubt having a great season but he went from being on pace for almost 11 WAR, to now looking like he will be lucky to finish with 7.5 WAR. Obviously still great, but the difference between an 11 WAR player and a 4 WAR player (which he has played like the last 2 months) is gigantic. Imagine the Royals with a merely solid Bobby Witt or the Yankees with a pretty good Aaron Judge. Those teams would be in bad shape. Now imagine their second best player has been below replacement level for 2 months and their ace has pitched to a 5 ERA in that same time frame. That is pretty much the Orioles and it explains most of their struggles. 

The bullpen, the SP’s, the injuries, and whatever else hardly matters if your best players aren’t your best players. 

I agree. It sounds crazy complaining about a player that will be a 7-8 win player, but they really need the 11 win guy right now. 

1 minute ago, maybenxtyr said:

I agree. It sounds crazy complaining about a player that will be a 7-8 win player, but they really need the 11 win guy right now. 

I’ll take the 7-8 WAR guy. The problem is he’s only slightly above average offensively right now and his fielding value is positive but he is not great defensively at all. He’s worse than last year right now.

The Os have a lot of issues that are tied to injuries but it’s 100% correct that you need your best players performing to win.

The Os top of the roster is elite and as good as most teams in the league but if they aren’t going to perform that way, it won’t matter who gets back.

the whole team is feeling the pressure right now moreso than last season (higher expectations) and i think maybe a bit down on themselves due to all the injuries. hopefully when key players return just in time for the postseason it will be a jump start and they get hot at the right time.

We really need to win 12-13 games out of the next 20, facing primarily sub-500 teams.  

I still have my eyes on the division. But being in a good position when he hit the last six against NYY and the Twins is paramount. 

They have not won more than 2 games in a row since 6/30 and are 28-33 in their last 61 games (74 win pace).

For comparisons sake, they won 3 games in a row (or more) 9 times in the first 3 months of the season. 

3 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

They have not won more than 2 games in a row since 6/30 and are 28-33 in their last 61 games (74 win pace).

For comparisons sake, they won 3 games in a row (or more) 9 times in the first 3 months of the season. 

And they are still going to be fine.

3 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

If they start playing better they will be, yeah. 

What is happening now, at least offensively, is similar to what happened to Cowser. A lot of bad luck right now. They are in a funk.

Now, they need to get healthy and all indications are that they will but they will be fine come playoff time.

It doesn’t mean they will win it at all. Right now, it’s arguably more wide open than at any point in baseball history. 

But they are only 1.5 games out, have the soft part of their schedule coming up and should start to get a lot healthier over the next few weeks.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

What is happening now, at least offensively, is similar to what happened to Cowser. A lot of bad luck right now. They are in a funk.

Now, they need to get healthy and all indications are that they will but they will be fine come playoff time.

It doesn’t mean they will win it at all. Right now, it’s arguably more wide open than at any point in baseball history. 

But they are only 1.5 games out, have the soft part of their schedule coming up and should start to get a lot healthier over the next few weeks.

I think a bit of it has been bad luck but they also have just not been hitting as well. 

They definitely should be able to take advantage of the easier schedule coming up, but they haven’t been able to do that all year. Let’s hope they can though. 

1 minute ago, LGOrioles said:

I think a bit of it has been bad luck but they also have just not been hitting as well. 

They definitely should be able to take advantage of the easier schedule coming up, but they haven’t been able to do that all year. Let’s hope they can though. 

They haven’t been hitting great but if their BABiP is just 250 (still well below average) instead of 200 the last 2 weeks, they probably have another win or 2 and that is a big difference right now.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

They haven’t been hitting great but if their BABiP is just 250 (still well below average) instead of 200 the last 2 weeks, they probably have another win or 2 and that is a big difference right now.

That’s true. They are due to string some wins together at some point and start scoring some runs so hopefully it happens soon.

I’ll believe it when I see it. Starting tonight. If they can’t put up some runs these next 6 games and win at least 4 of them, then I don’t think it’s turning around. It’s time to do it if it’s going to happen. I’m not convinced it will given the hitting approach all season.

17-9 or better the rest of the way.  Hitting about to get real healthy, injured players coming back over the next 3 weeks, back end of the rotation will give us enough, Burnes will get right, all coming together starting this weekend.  I think 17-9 will be enough to win the East, especially if we win 2 of 3 in NY.

55+ homers in the next 26 games.  Heard it here first.

Edited by OrioleintheATL