Orioles Claim Forrest Wall, Designate Dillon Tate For Assignment

oriolediehard

I think they may kind of Adam Frazier like him - the only red in the Batting section is the Squared-Up readout.    He can probably poke a line drive ever so softly.

Pre-parenthood I followed NL prospects more closely, and I remember his draft rep out of high school was a "pure hitter" ala perhaps Holliday or Mountcastle.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

I’m on pins and needles for our next AAA Marlins pick up that’s not good enough for their championship winning franchise 

When Elias was young, I feel like he would look for the uglily girl at closing time, and constantly cast off who he found until he found the ugliest girl. 

• Thanks 1

I will never understand why people get so worked up over these fringe, edge of the 40-man transactions.  Tate has shown us NOTHING for two straight years now, who cares if we dumped him for some fast outfielder?  This is meaningless.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

I will never understand why people get so worked up over these fringe, edge of the 40-man transactions.  Tate has shown us NOTHING for two straight years now, who cares if we dumped him for some fast outfielder?  This is meaningless.

Yes. This. These are last minute waiver claims that would either be emergency depth or maybe a very specific use case (i.e. PR).

With Mateo possibility out for the playoffs the O's team speed has taken a hit.   Wall offers that speed.  Because Wall has options Elias does not have to make a decision now on whether Wall makes the playoff roster.    But acquiring him before Sept 1 he  is available for the playoffs.  Pache did not have the options to allow him to go to AAA without going through waivers.

He is a better base stealer than Daniel Johnson, Haskin, Slater.   Has more range than any of these outfielders.

The acquisition of Bowman, Anderson and Kriske pushed Tate down the reliever depth chart.    Tate should get claimed on waivers.

Edited by wildcard
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

When are people going to understand that Dillon Tate is no good. They dropped the ball not trading him after 2022.

Nobody said Tate was that good.  Last I checked, Forrest Wall wasn’t exactly Babe Ruth.  I like the name, though.  

2 hours ago, oriolediehard said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/08/orioles-claim-forrest-wall-designate-dillon-tate-for-assignment.html

The Orioles announced that they have claimed outfielder Forrest Wall off waivers and optioned him to Triple-A Norfolk. He had been designated for assignment by the Marlins earlier this week. To open a 40-man roster spot for him, right-hander Dillon Tate has been designated for assignment.

Orioles are desperately trying to salvage this Rogers deal hoping to strike gold with these Marlins castoffs. Lol

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

So we DFA’d Cristian Pache a while ago and Miami picked him up.  They DFA Forrest Wall and we picked him up.  Why do we prefer Wall over Pache while they prefer Pache over Wall?  Is it just a matter of Wall having options while Pache does not?  I am not impressed with Wall’s track record and would rather have kept Tate.  

I would had rather had Tate too. One would guess that teams just don't want to give up on Pache's talent and hoping they can be the team that fixes him. That's all I have on it. 

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

So that might close the book on the Zach Britton trade.

Dillon Tate gave the Orioles 2.0 WAR.
Cody Carroll gave the Orioles -0.8 WAR.
Josh Rogers gave the Orioles -0.6 WAR.

So we got 0.6 WAR out of the deal.

For the half season left of control with the Yankees after we traded him, he compiled 0.3 WAR.   So from that point of view we "won" the deal.

But then the Yankees signed him as a free agent (which anyone could have), and he gave the Yankees 2.5 more WAR during that contract.

Josh Rogers was terrible but he just may he better than Trevor