Silver Linings Playbook

Frobby

@FrobbyI love this thread idea.  I missed most of the game last night due to late start but wanted to check OH this morning to see what people who watched the game thought.  As I opened my browser my initial thought was, "is it worth it, I am sure it's going to be all doom and gloom".  When a team has had the success the Orioles have over the past couple season expectations get very high and nothing but a win becomes good enough.  Baseball is a long season and sometimes a silver lining (bullpen turning it around) can mean more to the season than a particular win or loss. 

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I decided we needed a place to post some positives that show up in games we lose.   It helps keep me sane.  So that’s what this thread is for.   Anyone who posts negative or snarky things in this thread, there’s a special place in Hell for you.  😎

I have two silver linings for last night.  First, three scoreless innings from the bullpen, including one scoreless inning each from Soto and Kimbrel.  The bullpen has shown significant signs of calming down over the last week or so.   

Second, continued hot hitting from Ramon Urias.  He’s up to .760 OPS now, 119 OPS+.   After the dismal start he had to the year, leading some people to call for his release, he’s having what could turn out to be his best offensive season.  

I’m only planning to post in this thread after losses, so I hope I won’t be posting again here for a while.   😇

I'll agree with 100% of that, Kimbral and Soto they have to step up.

Cool thread idea. Kind of like the gameball thread but for losses. I agree with Soto/Kimbrel and Urias. 

I would also add Eloy's dugout interview was fantastic. He just exuded positivity. Good job by MASN to catch him in the dugout instead of a fielder in the middle of the game. 

And not Orioles related, but Shohei is amazing. Great player, great for the game. Maybe I would feel differently if he was on the Yankees or Red Sox but I can't help rooting for the guy. 

• Upvote 1

Made mention of this in another thread, but we have a soft 20 games coming up including 6 in a row against abysmal teams (Rockies, White Sox).  A good opportunity to get right and be in position to win the division title. 

32 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Made mention of this in another thread, but we have a soft 20 games coming up including 6 in a row against abysmal teams (Rockies, White Sox).  A good opportunity to get right and be in position to win the division title. 

Would be nice to see the O's go off in Denver.  Maybe the high mile atmosphere will help some of those long fly balls become home runs.

43 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

We need to stop assuming we're going to clean up against these teams.  The Rox gave the Yankees good games last weekend, including winning one going away, all in Yankee Stadium.  They beat Gerrit Cole in fact, if I recall correctly.  And the Sox beat the Yanks by 10 not all that long ago to take one game of that series.  These are bad teams but they are still major league players for the most part.  And those long fly balls fly farther for both teams, last I checked.

26 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

We need to stop assuming we're going to clean up against these teams.  The Rox gave the Yankees good games last weekend, including winning one going away, all in Yankee Stadium.  They beat Gerrit Cole in fact, if I recall correctly.  And the Sox beat the Yanks by 10 not all that long ago to take one game of that series.  These are bad teams but they are still major league players for the most part.  And those long fly balls fly farther for both teams, last I checked.

It is a fair point but this time next week we'll be enjoying an off day at home and know how we did.

I agree our vulnerabilities are probably going to show up at least once in the unfamiliar Coors environment.    Colorado has only been swept three games at home once this season.

The White Sox I think are on a whole other level.

Just now, Just Regular said:

It is a fair point but this time next week we'll be enjoying an off day at home and know how we did.

I agree our vulnerabilities are probably going to show up at least once in the unfamiliar Coors environment.    Colorado has only been swept three games at home once this season.

The White Sox I think are on a whole other level.

Agree, if you MUST assume a sweep in one of these series, then clearly the Sox series is the one to assume that for.  I have a feeling we lose 2/3 in Colorado for just because baseball type reasons. 

As always, I love a chance to remind the crowd that no matter how hard we scream now, in December we’re going to miss it, during those days long on football and short on Light.

I too, was happy with the bullpen, Soto in particular, who may have righted the ship after a dreadful start.

43 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

Who is assuming?  I said it was an opportunity and these are weaker teams that we will have the talent advantage to. 

I don't think it needs to be stated that any team can beat any other team, on a given night. 

8 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Who is assuming?  I said it was an opportunity and these are weaker teams that we will have the talent advantage to. 

I don't think it needs to be stated that any team can beat any other team, on a given night. 

It might not need to be stated to you but sometimes feels like it does to many others, LOL.  We all know the hand wringing that will occur if we lose game 1 in Denver.  'If we can't beat the Rockies we're toast' etc.