Silver Linings Playbook

Frobby

The thread title caught my eye because I grew up less than a mile from the diner that was featured in the film, the open-all-night Llanarch Diner (which is not in Llanarch, but across Route 1 from it).

Silver linings:

Urias at the plate, of course. (On his very non-silver defense, a digression/question. When I played third base as a teenager -- and I'm not counting playing there, later, in softball -- I was taught to try to get in front of everything and if I couldn't react in time to field balls cleanly to try to take them off my chest, grab them and then throw. Somewhere along the line, that approach seems to have disappeared from MLB. Do any third basemen play balls that way, maybe at lower levels?)  

There were a couple of good ABs from O'Hearn.

I thought there was more hard contact than I'd seen for a while. Not a lot, but more.

2 for 7 with RISP.

Soto, Akin and Kimbrel were surprisingly effective. Hyde used only three relievers, so a lot of bullpen guys had the night off.

The Dodgers used their top bullpen guys, most of them anyway.

The MASN announcers, especially the Palmer-Ben exchanges, keep getting better. 

Finally, a dark horse candidate. When Burnes is pitching like a Cy Young candidate, he can get away with (pretty much) the rampant base-stealing. He has to see how destructive the steals are when he's not on his A game, and maybe he'll try to do something -- a little something, not a revamping of his windup and delivery -- to cut down on the free bases., if only to show some effort and reduction for use in his free agency.

Most important, the NYYs are still in close range. 

Honestly I thought Burnes was pitching much better than he had lately, until he wasn't.

He was getting some swings and misses, he was locating really well, every thing looked pretty sharp.

While I don't be the "only one earned run", and he clearly made a horrible pitch to Teoscar, I think his pitching as a whole was much better than it had been in some of his recent "bad starts".

Now the fact that he fell apart a bit after the defensive lapses, and made the awful pitch to Hernandez, is totally on him.   But I do feel like it appeared he was pitching better up to that point than he had in some of the previous starts.   And hopefully that can carry forward into his next start and be accompanied by a bit more mental toughness.   If he no-hits the White Sox, his inability to hold runners won't matter a bit!

4 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Honestly I thought Burnes was pitching much better than he had lately, until he wasn't.

He was getting some swings and misses, he was locating really well, every thing looked pretty sharp.

While I don't be the "only one earned run", and he clearly made a horrible pitch to Teoscar, I think his pitching as a whole was much better than it had been in some of his recent "bad starts".

Now the fact that he fell apart a bit after the defensive lapses, and made the awful pitch to Hernandez, is totally on him.   But I do feel like it appeared he was pitching better up to that point than he had in some of the previous starts.   And hopefully that can carry forward into his next start and be accompanied by a bit more mental toughness.   If he no-hits the White Sox, his inability to hold runners won't matter a bit!

I agree, I thought he looked good.  And the pitch that Ohtani hit out was a pitch only Ohtani could hit out...no one's supposed to be able to hit that pitch like that.  I wasn't even mad at it.

He was going well up to the Teoscar bomb.  

41 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

After Soto’s absolutely disastrous start as an Oriole, in his last 6 games:

5.1 IP

1 H

0 ER

2 BB

7 K

I said this during my 105.7 spot. Soto has actually thrown the ball well since his disastrous start. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I like how they answered the Dodgers scoring with three runs of their own.  Cowser seems to have found his swing again, that ball he hit over Kiermaier's head was an absolute missile.

Sure, but we'll really know Cowser is on a heater when he's hitting piss missiles!

Just now, Fiver6565 said:

Sure, but we'll really know Cowser is on a heater when he's hitting piss missiles!

When he puts one over the fence, then you'll know.

Seriously, I was ready to start cussing Kiermaier a bunch because I thought he was going to haul that in...he's a great defensive centerfielder, but that ball was torched.  

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Seriously, I was ready to start cussing Kiermaier a bunch because I thought he was going to haul that in...he's a great defensive centerfielder, but that ball was torched.  

Agreed, had same thought.  I thought, damn that's a laser, then damn that's Kiermaier out there, then DAMN that's over his head on a line!

All in about 1.5 seconds, LOL

• Haha 1

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Kiermaier has announced his retirement after the year.   If the Dodgers aren't our World Series opponent, tonight will be the last time we are ever on the same field with the guy, who has been a nemesis for us for over a decade.

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Kiermaier has announced his retirement after the year.   If the Dodgers aren't our World Series opponent, tonight will be the last time we are ever on the same field with the guy, who has been a nemesis for us for over a decade.

Thank goodness.  

3 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

Agreed, had same thought.  I thought, damn that's a laser, then damn that's Kiermaier out there, then DAMN that's over his head on a line!

All in about 1.5 seconds, LOL

That was my thought process, too.  There was a split second there where Kiermaier looked over his shoulder to track the ball and I swear he had it measured and was going to haul it in.

37 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Ramon!!!  Urias looks as calm, patient, relaxed, confident and comfortable at the plate as I have ever seen him.  He should move up in the order. 

Maybe Urias should be batting 2nd instead of Adley.  That would usually sound crazy but I bet it would be an improvement.