Most disappointing prospects of 2024?

Frobby

To me the OP implies "... so far." So, yeah, Holliday so far is pretty disappointing, and Mayo too. I would rank these two tops, since disappointment also implies expectations, which were sky-high, can't-miss for both (albeit age-adjusted).

Beavers and Fabian always had more question marks about their swing and miss, with upside more as projects (hope for the best).

2 minutes ago, Aglets said:

And so is Jackson Chourio.

I can't think of anyone who has disappointed me more in 2024.  Doesn't mean he's a bust or a bum.  Just that he has had the biggest gap in terms of expectations vs results.   If you have an alternative answer I'd be curious to listen.

I'd say you have had a great year if Holliday is your biggest disappointment in 2024.   

Holliday's year still has plenty of runway to end good.     Only some diehards here will remember much if he plays better when the lights are brightest.     Also SIGBOT for future Arb cases, I guess.

Baseball fans have a bunch of blessings right now - ATL/NYM and ARZ/SDP are 5-5 and between those two and the BAL/NYY 6-4 divisions, placements and even playoff berths could come down to a few crucial games.

Both MVP races are hot - downballot Cowser and Wells are still close, even though our guy may be lagging some now.    The last 10% of the regular season should be a treat, and decide some of those neck and neck races.    Splash that 10%, Holliday!

15 minutes ago, wildcard said:

The question is who is the O's  most disappointing prospect?   No.   I don't find him the most disappointing at 20.    I'm pretty sure he is pretty confident he will grow into an important major leaguer.  If asked I think he will say he learned a lot.

Agree.   Hard to call a kid who made the majors at 20 a disappointment even with the ML struggles. 

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

After 48 games what was Cal Ripken hitting?

For the first 20 some games of his career Cal was used as a pinch runner / defensive replacement mostly.  So that is a bit of a different situation from Jackson's start.

Are you predicting Holliday will win Rookie of the Year?   And MVP the following season?

If not I am not sure why you bring up Ripken.  

I guess I'll try asking a bit more slowly and one more final time.

Is there some other prospect you think we should be MORE disappointed in for 2024?   

50 minutes ago, wildcard said:

On Holliday I say.....He's 20!.    He put up a 908 OPS at AAA.   That he had some trouble in the majors.....He's 20!    Give the young man a break.

That's not what anyone is saying. This has nothing to do with who will be good, but who was disappointing. If you're not disappointed in Holliday's major league numbers this year, then you have a very low bar for rookie players, especially one that was considered the number one prospect in all of baseball by most. 

7 minutes ago, Aglets said:

For the first 20 some games of his career Cal was used as a pinch runner / defensive replacement mostly.  So that is a bit of a different situation from Jackson's start.

Are you predicting Holliday will win Rookie of the Year?   And MVP the following season?

Is there some other prospect you think we should be MORE disappointed in for 2024?   

People have been reaching deep to try and show that Holliday's awful start is not unusual for a top prospect. 

The Orioles deemed him ready. Let's remember, he was brought up twice before Westburg got hurt and was installed as the everyday 2B. 

Holliday be any measurable stats has failed at the major league level so far. 

Does that mean he's not going to be good one day, no, it means he's been disappointing, and it doesn't make you less of a fan to point that fact out. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Chayce McDermott - In 2023 he had progressed at AAA to have a 2.49 ERA and a 1.007 WHIP  in 50 IP and 8 starts mostly as age 24.   Another 10 to 12 starts like that he is in the O's rotation.

But  in 2024  he had a 3.90 ERA and a 1.423 WHIP in 97 IP including 20 starts.   He did strike out 139 but his control did not develop the way the O's wanted, ended the year injured with a stress reaction to the right shoulder  and he just turned 26.

22 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

That's not what anyone is saying. This has nothing to do with who will be good, but who was disappointing. If you're not disappointed in Holliday's major league numbers this year, then you have a very low bar for rookie players, especially one that was considered the number one prospect in all of baseball by most. 

Nope, not disappointed.   How many times do we have to talk about a Rookie Adjustment Period.    After Adley, Gunnar and Cowser I expect a rough beginning to a rookies careers.   Hyde keeps saying: biggest jump in sports.     I have actually watched Holliday get better on defense at 2B as he plays more games.  A position he hardly played before this season.   The hitting will come.  He is 20.

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Nope, not disappointed.   How many times do we have to talk about a Rookie Adjustment Period.    After Adley, Gunnar and Cowser I expect a rough beginning to a rookies careers.   Hyde keeps saying: biggest jump in sports.     I have actually watched Holliday get better on defense at 2B as he plays more games.  A position he hardly played before this season.   The hitting will come.  He is 20.

Machado was 19 and not as highly touted, he was an asset in a pennant race.

Jackson Chourio is 20.

I can give you a pretty long list of highly regarded prospects who debuted at or 19 or 20 that managed to actually help their teams win games.

A new job hasn't allowed me to follow as much as I have in the past but...

Holliday.  He had a great 2023 season to earn an age 20 debut.  But expectations for 2024 rose with his performance as well.  I'm one to give a longer leash and still think he can turn the corner quickly.  But I've only seen glimpses of who I expect him to be.  Nothing consistent yet.  Maybe my expectations were too high.  But then again he was the consensus #1 prospect...  

International pipeline.  How many FV 60's were in @Tony-OHpost-2023 writeups?  Tavera,  DeLeon, Sosa, Liranzo.  Plus Almeyda.  Not all is lost but none lived up to my expectations. Or at least none had a breakout I was hoping for.

We'll need a bounceback thread to kickoff the MiLB offseason shortly.

Billy Rowell. 

Should be capping off a hall of fame career by now but he’s smoking pot and collecting shopping carts at a Food Lion in Jersey. 

Jokes aside, De Leon was a guy I had hopes for headed into the season cause we’re thin with pitching. 

I thought Beavers was going to be a solid prospect. Mayo for looking completely lost when arriving in Baltimore. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

On Holliday I say.....He's 20!.    He put up a 908 OPS at AAA.   That he had some trouble in the majors.....He's 20!    Give the young man a break.

I still expect him to be a very good player.   However, I was hoping for 70 grade bat-to-ball and instead he had a 21.8% in-zone whiff % at Norfolk.  His Tides OPS was powered by a 20% walk rate which won’t stick at the big league level.  I was hoping for solid SS defense and plus 2B defense, but it looks more like solid at 2B and maybe not viable at SS.

Going into the season I was hoping for perennial MVP candidate and now have tempered my outlook to occasional All-Star.  I recognize he is 20 but so are the other Jackson’s.

I just don’t put much weight on initial MLB performance.   I’m more disappointed with Beavers for going backwards at a level he was at already than Holliday and Mayo for not being successful at the highest level of the sport on the first try.  Am I disappointed they didn’t do better in their first crack at the majors?  Yes.  But others disappointed me more given my view of things.