O’s look done

Pat Kelly

On 9/15/2024 at 3:41 PM, rm5678 said:

No matter what question is asked of Adley, he always responds with "the process" and "working with the hitting coaches." Has never clarified exactly what the process is.

One of the hitting coaches talked publicly about Santander's process (which involves some degree of guessing, like he sits on a particular pitch until he gets it) and then he went into a bit of a slump. Not sure that was actually related, but it at least makes me wonder. Generally I don't expect strategies to be made public.

2 minutes ago, SilverRocket said:

One of the hitting coaches talked publicly about Santander's process (which involves some degree of guessing, like he sits on a particular pitch until he gets it) and then he went into a bit of a slump. Not sure that was actually related, but it at least makes me wonder. Generally I don't expect strategies to be made public.

One thing I have never understood about the Anthony switch hitting is he seems like a 100% better hitter hitting left handed compared to right handed.  To me it is night and day.  Now I don't know the exact numbers but I just see the way he swings.  He swings a lot better as a lefty compared to a right handed hitter.  He has had a really good season but it may be time for him to do a Mullins and swing just as a lefthander. 

1 hour ago, HardlyRocked said:

One thing I have never understood about the Anthony switch hitting is he seems like a 100% better hitter hitting left handed compared to right handed.  To me it is night and day.  Now I don't know the exact numbers but I just see the way he swings.  He swings a lot better as a lefty compared to a right handed hitter.  He has had a really good season but it may be time for him to do a Mullins and swing just as a lefthander. 

His career numbers are pretty much as identical as they can get from either side, and his season numbers are not that different either. .837 OPS lefty, .793 OPS righty this year.

Funny how there was all that talk last year about being hurt by the time off from winning the division. Many people said we should play for a wild card this year. Now that we're here, people are complaining about the team not winning enough. There is still time to turn things around. Let's get some guys back, make it into the playoffs, and give it our best. I still like our chances in a 3 game Wild Card series with Burnes starting game 1.

17 minutes ago, Bleed Orange said:

Funny how there was all that talk last year about being hurt by the time off from winning the division. Many people said we should play for a wild card this year. Now that we're here, people are complaining about the team not winning enough. There is still time to turn things around. Let's get some guys back, make it into the playoffs, and give it our best. I still like our chances in a 3 game Wild Card series with Burnes starting game 1.

I think if they had started the year at 35-41 and then ran off a 49-25 run to be at 84-66, that would have made folks feel much better than the reverse. There would have for sure been complaining about underachieving and lousy hitting if we had started like that, but trends and momentum are important and this team has been trending in the wrong direction for literally 3 full months......capped off by a stretch of 10 games where they mustered 21 total runs.  So the problem is they keep getting worse offensively, which is wasting some fantastic pitching performances.

I am fine with the wild card and games right away (instead of sitting for 5 days).  But it would be much better if they could starting scoring more than 2.1 runs per game, actually win a series or two, and stop relying on other teams to lose in order to back into a playoff spot.  

The Orioles are so so bad.   Really a terrible excuse for a playoff team at this point.   I said this on a previous message board early this year but I really feel as if the Orioles fundamental teaching system in the minor leagues and going all the way up to the majors and especially with Brandon Hyde is severely lacking.  I have never seen a team with this much talent play (before the injuries mostly but also after) such bad fundamental baseball.  It appears as if they have no idea what they are doing.  This most recent error by Mullins being a prime example.   This isn't complicated.  It is little league stuff. 

But the most glaring deficiency is they simply have no idea how to take pitches and how to hit.  I would love for a Billy Beane Money ball system guru to come in and give these guys even a glimmer of what it means to be a major league hitter.  It is comical at this point.    They swing at the worst pitches and don't seem to ever care about changing. 

I consider myself a big O's fan and try to watch almost every game. But right now this team is literally less fun to watch than our 100 loss teams. Back then we were just happy to keep the game close.

This team's hitting has regressed like nothing I've ever seen.