Os vs KC in WC round

Sports Guy

3 minutes ago, Warehouse said:

Has Dean Kremer said whether he will pitch on Rosh Hashanah?

That's a really good question. And I reckon that's playing big in the decision. 

Seems to me it's a no brainer. Pitch Zach Eflin Game 2. That's your 1-2 punch. It's why you acquired him.

Just now, LookitsPuck said:

Seems to me it's a no brainer. Pitch Zach Eflin Game 2. That's your 1-2 punch. It's why you acquired him.

https://shalhevetboilingpoint.com/top-stories/2016/10/11/first-ever-israeli-in-mlb-would-not-play-on-yom-kippur/

In 2016 he said no, which would prevent him from pitching Thursday.

Q: Would you play a game on Rosh Hashanah or Yom Kippur?

A: No, I would not.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

I'm trying to figure out if there's any real reason they wouldn't go with Eflin. Or if it is just posturing to make KC slightly less sure of the game plan. 

Two reasons:

1) Kremer has dominated the Royals…Eflin has not.

2) Saving Eflin to pitch game 1 vs NY and having him and Burnes 4 of 5 games…and if you lose either of the first 2 games vs KC, you have Eflin for game 3.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Two reasons:

2) Saving Eflin to pitch game 1 vs NY and having him and Burnes 4 of 5 games…and if you lose either of the first 2 games vs KC, you have Eflin for game 3.

Kremer this year against the Royals: 4.91 ERA in 2 games, 11 IP, 6 ER (3 ER in each of those starts). I'm not so sure that's dominating the Royals unless you're talking about in 2023 (he didn't face them), or 2022. Yeah, Eflin stunk against the Royals the 1 time he pitched against them this year.  But that was during a really bad stretch for him (6 games) when he gave up 4 or more runs in 4 of those starts. 

Now, your second point makes some sense. 

37 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

What if you win Game 1 and need just one more win?   You could try to win with Kremer in G2, and if you succeed you have Eflin and Burnes lined up for G1 and G2 in New York, which is ideal.   If you lose Game 2, you still have Eflin for Game 3, so it's not like you'd not be pitching your top two guys in the series, just not in the expected order.

21 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Two reasons:

Sorry, hadn't read this when I wrote my post echoing #2.

37 minutes ago, Warehouse said:

https://shalhevetboilingpoint.com/top-stories/2016/10/11/first-ever-israeli-in-mlb-would-not-play-on-yom-kippur/

If that is still the case, you would think they would have planned in advance and had him go Sunday instead of Suarez, and have Suarez for Game 3.   I find it hard to believe they wouldn't have already taken this into account.

46 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He pitched on September 17th 2023.

46 minutes ago, Warehouse said:

OK, I'm not Jewish and I've never had reason to research their holidays but didn't Rosh Hashanah fall on September 17th last season?

If I'm mistaken, sorry it was an honest mistake.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

OK, I'm not Jewish and I've never had reason to research their holidays but didn't Rosh Hashanah fall on September 17th last season?

Looks like it began on Friday, Sep 15 and ended on Sunday, Sep 17.

Were we on Sunday Night Baseball that Sunday 9/17?    My Google of Rosh Hashanah 2023 said it ended at sundown the Sunday.

I'm not Jewish either but I am baseball, and in childhood the Sandy Koufax stories I remembered most were about Yom Kippur.

The Google also reminded me Kremer's turn as Texas finished the sweep was just 2 days after October 7th.

Let's get a sweep, guys.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's a 48 hour event spanning three days from sunset to sunset two days later. The two evenings, particularly the first one, are typically the most significant. Since last Sep 17th was the third day, it's possible he was more willing to pitch that day than on one of the prior two evenings. It's also possible Dean just changed his perspective and pitching on the holiday is not an issue for him. 

In any event, if pitching on the holiday is an issue, it might be relevant for both Wednesday and Thursday, since the holiday begins at sundown Wednesday. 

• Upvote 2