Still think this team didn't choke under pressure?

Tony-OH

15 minutes ago, baltfan said:

They also have somehow taken guys who supposedly had amazing bat to ball skills on Cowser and Holliday and made them into guys that have tons of swing and miss. We don’t need everyone to hit 25 homers.  We need a mix of skills.  The one hope I have is that Gunnar in an offseason learned to hit breaking pitches and lefties.  Hopefully others will develop similarly.  And Elias needs to take some heat for missing Merrill and Wood who both were in his own backyard. You can’t miss guys like that.  The Braves don’t miss Georgia guys. 

Agreed. The whole approach at one point was to swing at pitches you can do damage on and take or foul of those that you can't. Somewhere that turned into swing from your heels with upper cut swings and hope to hit home runs.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

I'm leaving, don't worry.

Saying Adley needs to go to fat boy camp violates rule 5, but it's your forum. You can do whatever you want.

This has to be one of the worse takes I've seen on here. lol

• Upvote 1

Just now, Tony-OH said:

Agreed. The whole approach at one point was to swing at pitches you can do damage on and take or foul of those that you can't. Somewhere that turned into swing from your heels with upper cut swings and hope to hit home runs.

This is why Adley hits so. Many high fly balls that fall 10 feet in front of the warning track. His upper cut swing isn’t a mess. 

Elias’s dumpster diving approach is officially a disaster. You can’t really get something out of nothing. When the level of baseball and the pressure go up in the playoffs, you need players with a track record in the playoffs. You need players who have been there done that. They are a calming influence in the clubhouse. You also need a manager with a track record, who has cachet to sit any player if they aren’t performing.

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm pretty annoyed they wasted the Burnes year.

They wasted a year of Adley.

They wasted a year of Gunnar.

They traded off a lot of the farm surplus.

Yea.  Thats my biggest gripe.  We traded Hall, Ortiz, Stowers, & Norby and have a sweep & a AAA reclamation project to show for it. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Uli2001 said:

Elias’s dumpster diving approach is officially a disaster. You can’t really get something out of nothing. When the level of baseball and the pressure go up in the playoffs, you need players with a track record in the playoffs. You need players who have been there done that. They are a calming influence in the clubhouse. You also need a manager with a track record, who has cachet to sit any player if they aren’t performing.

He didn’t think offense was the problem. Pitching wise they gave up 3 runs.  To be fair to him, I don’t know that anyone could have seen this offensive collapse coming. 

9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm inclined to agree that this group isn't the group to get it done.  

Really curious to see if Adley can get back to what he was in 2025.  

Mounty, Tony, O'Hearn need to go.  Free swinging hackers who swing and miss.

Hyde isn't the problem.  Maybe we overrated our precious prospects and youthful talent.  I think that's as likely as anything.

If we really have overrated our precious prospects and youthful talent, with no apparent talent in the pitching pipeline we are in for a world of

hurt.  We've been led to believe that the position players/hitters coming up were going to provide years of competing at the highest level.

This is going to be one interesting off season. I think 2025 will go a long way in showing us what we really have.

21 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm pretty annoyed they wasted the Burnes year.

They wasted a year of Adley.

They wasted a year of Gunnar.

They traded off a lot of the farm surplus.

Not only did they waste a year of Burnes, but they excited the playoffs even earlier than they did without him.

13 minutes ago, Hallas said:

How in the world would Adley and Gunnar ambush teams?  Everyone has known they were good for at least a full season.  Westburg didn't play for most of the 2nd half.  Cowser's worst month was in May.

Ye,s May was horrible.  June was worse, and August and September were not very good.  StatMuse has players stats by month - Cowser had only two decent months, April and July.  That's just not good enough.

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

It definitely feels like a vibe shift needs to come from somewhere on the roster. McCann Tony and Ced are good veteran guys, but they need 1 or 2 mean ass, battle-tested playoff studs in there. Not that those guys grow on trees.

Frank came to the Orioles and completely changed the culture.  Bring in JD Martinez or someone similar for these guys to learn from. 

Edited by baltfan

4 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

I don’t think it is doom and gloom on Elias and what is being built here, but this is it.  Full stop.  THIS IS IT. 

You can win regular season games with playing for the three outcomes.  But you aren’t going to win those games in the playoffs if you can’t put the bat on the ball, put the ball in play, have some speed and move some runners.  This is where the rubber needs to meet the road and that some players need to be brought in who can do this, and you need to teach some of this to the talent already here. 

And if I could bring in one player that is a very reasonable get?  I’d overpay for Luis Arraez.  High average, yeah he doesn’t walk but he also doesn’t strike out.  The ball gets put into play. 

don’t you know that the OH guard will prosecute you for hinting that batting average has value? lol. According to the statisticians on here, batting average is a meaningless stat. 

Understand this. I agree with you. And I would love to acquire a pure hitter like Arraez. It has become all the rage to praise the HR, even when it comes from a guy with a .230 average. But we just saw what happens when we have a lineup full of swing and miss. You get blanked. A lot.