Elias and Hyde address the media today

Sports Guy

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Will it?

I think the answer to this question depends upon how much you believe in Kjerstad (I think Mayo is ticketed for first base). I personally don’t based on what I have seen in Norfolk and Baltimore because I question whether he will get to his power due to his swing decisions, and think he will struggle with major league off speed pitches. He’ll also be in his age 26 season next year and, although that isn’t really his fault, I think the AAA numbers need to be viewed with his age in mind.

I will be rooting for him to succeed because I want the Orioles to win. I just don’t have the same confidence in him that many seem to.

8 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

Nope, see the above post.  He was 11th on the team in BA with RISP and 12 in OPS with RISP.  That isn't exactly a guy that's carrying a team when it matters or someone that's going to create a back hole by not being in the lineup in the future.  

And in 2023 he had a .305 average and .919 OPS with RISP. I don’t think he suddenly became unable to hit with RISP. There’s a ton of noise in those stats.

Nobody on this team creates a black hole by not being in the lineup in the future, even Gunnar. It depends on team construction, return on trade, etc.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sydnor said:

And in 2023 he had a .305 average and .919 OPS with RISP. I don’t think he suddenly became unable to hit with RISP. There’s a ton of noise in those stats.

Nobody on this team creates a black hole by not being in the lineup in the future, even Gunnar. It depends on team construction, return on trade, etc.

Sure there is a ton of noise in those stats, just like there is in most/many stats.  But too many are acting like Santander is so good that he's irreplaceable and that our lineup is going to suffer by his absence.  He simply isn't that good of an all around hitter for the team to really miss him.  And while there is a ton of noise in the noted stats, they do show that at least this year he didn't show up big when we needed him.  Sure, he hit a handful of big home runs in some key situations, but by and large he wasn't really effective or impactful with RISP and came up very small in many key situations, along with the rest of the stinking team.

Hyde’s comments on Jackson at the end are worth the listen as well. Sounds like both Jackson and him are hopeful the mechanical changes he made will really benefit him. Said hitting coaches worked with him couple of weeks. Quieter swing and he can get to elevated fastball better.  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I'm wondering if it is a neurological issue that has led to muscle degeneration, similar to the ailment that ended Glenn Davis's career For those that don't remember the worst trade in O's history, Davis came over after multiple 35+ HR years, developed some muscle degeneration condition couldn't hit the ball out of the infield as was out of baseball the next year.
    • I think I saw he was 13th on the MLB list.
    • RISP and poor offense was not really about the playoffs but the entire 2nd half as Elias indicated in his media interviews.  “As I try to look this offseason about what we can adjust in many different ways -- whether that’s staffing, all the stuff I just mentioned, processes, information, all the things that we do around here -- I need to find the appropriate balance with all the positivity that we’ve achieved with this bad taste in our mouths and bad outcome in the playoffs and a disappointing sort of second half overall,” Elias said. 
    • I'd like to see them split the difference between the old wall and the new wall.  I think that would be fair to both pitchers and hitters.
    • That one particular stat is good..but his K rate, Bb rate, missed bats, many of his statcast stats, etc…not so good.
    • I'm surprised this topic has not been created. My apologies if I missed it. What do you see the team rolling out there next April and why? Here's what I have: 😄 Adley/McCann? 1B: Mountcastle/Urias/Mayo 2B: Holliday/Mateo SS: Gunnar 3B: Westburg LF: Cowser CF: Mullins RF: Kjerstad DH: O'Hearn? I'm seeing a lot of discussion about changing the team and hitting approach, but I think a lot of these guys are locked in. By Position: Catcher- Adley will be back (and hopefully back to his former self). We'll get a back up. Could be McCann. 1B- This may be the most likely place we could make a change. I think it's less likely than probably most think. But if we want to change up our offense, it may mean moving on from Mountcastle and I think that will depend on what we can get back for him. I think the plan would be to put Mayo there long term. Urias could be a placeholder until Mayo is ready (if he isn't at the beginning of the season). After the way 2024 played out with injuries, I think Urias will be back (rather than trade him or non-tender).  2B- I think this is Holliday's spot. But we will also bring Mateo back as utility and in case Holliday falters. They could also platoon some here. SS- Gunnar 3B- Westburg can play elsewhere in the infield, but will start somewhere. Where he plays depends more on who else starts. LF- Like Westburg, Cowser will start. It's a question of CF or LF. CF- I think we bring back Mullins. I don't see us signing or trading for a replacement who can fill the defensive void Mullins would leave. With our big left field, it makes it hard to move Cowser to CF and bring in a bat in LF. RF- I don't think Santander will be back. Kjerstad probably makes the most sense as a replacement. Mayo has been discussed as an option in RF, but I don't think he has played there yet in the minors. Seems like he's ticketed for 1B if 3B doesn't work out. If we're looking to change up the hitting, we could sign someone to play here.  DH- There is some crossover with RF here, but this is another spot where we could bring someone in. I could see us bringing back O'Hearn on his option too. I believe the above would leave one roster spot, which would need to be dedicated to a RH 4th OF, who ideally can play all 3 spots in the OF. I guess we could get a corner and just move Cowser over when Mullins needs a day off, but he needs to be someone we are comfortable playing in our big LF at least. This is probably a role player who may not make a big difference, but would be pretty important if we have three starting outfielders who all hit left handed (and potentially O'Hearn as primary DH who is also left handed). I write all of this because it's fun to consider, but also because I think it will be hard to significantly change our hitting externally. Our target spots are really only 1B, RF, DH. And I'd say we probably need someone who can hit right-handed (in our big park).  
    • Here's an update on Jackson tweaking or possibly eliminating the leg kick. I hope Kjerstad takes notice.  
  • Popular Contributors