Elias: It's on me

wildcard

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

A lot of people didn't watch the press conference and it shows.

I watched it.

He said was he was supposed to say.

Nothing he said was in the least bit surprising.

Nothing he said was illuminating.

It's as if he opened up a book called What to say after an early playoff exit and started reading.

All of which is fine, it's expected.  It's the way these things are done.  I'm guessing Dana Brown said something pretty similar.

24 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I watched it.

It's as if he opened up a book called What to say after an early playoff exit and started reading.

All of which is fine, it's expected.  It's the way these things are done.  I'm guessing Dana Brown said something pretty similar.

I didn't watch the Astros or Os press conferences, mainly because I didn't want to look at or hear anything Elias or Hyde said. But I imagine that Houston fans are going to be far more accepting of how things ended than our fans are (or should be). The Astros fan has had a pretty charmed life (cheating stigma aside) since the last time we won a playoff game.  

21 minutes ago, JR Oriole said:

I didn't watch the Astros or Os press conferences, mainly because I didn't want to look at or hear anything Elias or Hyde said. But I imagine that Houston fans are going to be far more accepting of how things ended than our fans are (or should be). The Astros fan has had a pretty charmed life (cheating stigma aside) since the last time we won a playoff game.  

I think the opposite, Astro fans have an expectation of success, Oriole fans don't.

55 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I watched it.

I think you can read a lot about the way he said things and his emotions while speaking. Just my opinion.

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

I think you can read a lot about the way he said things and his emotions while speaking. Just my opinion.

I guess I'm just not as in tune with the subtext emanating from an individual I've never actually met as you are.

I'm also not as good at analyzing a player's body language as the experts in the game threads.

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think the opposite, Astro fans have an expectation of success, Oriole fans don't.

I think that was very true for a lot of years. Too many, really. But I feel like things might have changed this year with the fanbase, as I think the last three and a half months really ripped the shine off of just about everyone and everything associated with the Orioles. I think the attendance at these playoff games and the intensity of the crowd (just based on what I saw on TV and comparing it to 2012 and 2014) reflected how fans felt about the product this year. Even the tone of this board feels different, and I am glad to see it.

I don't think people are celebrating regular season win totals like they did in the past, or thinking not being swept in the regular season was ever cool when they got ousted in 3 by Texas when it counted, or having blind faith in Elias. If anything, I think the patience with Elias, Hyde, the coaches, and the players has finally run thin. Hopefully there are no more age excuses for Holliday when we have seen what the other young Jacksons in the majors look like, or Adley when we have seen what a much older and bigger Sal Perez is capable of, or any of our hitters who all came up so small in big moments. And after seeing how active Kansas City was last offseason even on the heels of a 106 loss team, there should be absolutely no excuses centered on small market or budgets. There will be injuries in 2025 like there are every year, but the players who are on the field and healthy need to step up.

7 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Grichuk really bounced back last year. He would be great as RH OF/DH to play against LHP. Really need to find a bat like that because we’re so lefty dominant. Losing Santander will only add to that. 

Grichuk would be a perfect complement to Os roster as RHH OF with good platoon splits, however he has mutual option for $6M next year (after making only $1.5M this season). Do you see him or DBacks not picking that up?

Just now, Say O! said:

Grichuk would be a perfect complement to Os roster as RHH OF with good platoon splits, however he has mutual option for $6M next year (after making only $1.5M this season). Do you see him or DBacks not picking that up?

He had an .876 OPS last year. I don’t know why he’d exercise the option. I’d certainly pay him 1/10ish

23 minutes ago, JR Oriole said:

I think that was very true for a lot of years. Too many, really. But I feel like things might have changed this year with the fanbase, as I think the last three and a half months really ripped the shine off of just about everyone and everything associated with the Orioles. I think the attendance at these playoff games and the intensity of the crowd (just based on what I saw on TV and comparing it to 2012 and 2014) reflected how fans felt about the product this year. Even the tone of this board feels different, and I am glad to see it.

I don't think people are celebrating regular season win totals like they did in the past, or thinking not being swept in the regular season was ever cool when they got ousted in 3 by Texas when it counted, or having blind faith in Elias. If anything, I think the patience with Elias, Hyde, the coaches, and the players has finally run thin. Hopefully there are no more age excuses for Holliday when we have seen what the other young Jacksons in the majors look like, or Adley when we have seen what a much older and bigger Sal Perez is capable of, or any of our hitters who all came up so small in big moments. And after seeing how active Kansas City was last offseason even on the heels of a 106 loss team, there should be absolutely no excuses centered on small market or budgets. There will be injuries in 2025 like there are every year, but the players who are on the field and healthy need to step up.

It has for me… I just don’t think Elias is good at trading. Most of his trade scream that I’m right. He can no longer hide behind a cheap meddling owner. He needs to adjust his thinking now that resources are available.

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

It has for me… I just don’t think Elias is good at trading. Most of his trade scream that I’m right. He can no longer hide behind a cheap meddling owner. He needs to adjust his thinking now that resources are available.

I think he's shown to be really good at building a farm system, which was his reputation coming in.

Aside from that I'm not seeing much to separate him from his peers.

He's hit on some lottery tickets but other teams have taken players he's discarded and had success. 

55 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

All the unhappiness expressed by O’s fans here over the last few days — that’s from unmet expectations. I think the 101 wins from the year before made most Baltimore fans expect more this season. 

I definitely didn’t anticipate another winless, quick departure from the post-season. 

As for the Elias post-mortem, I thought it was some industry speak and yet, I do believe him when he says they are going to take a hard look at the things not going well (and hopefully that means adding pitchers and better pitcher development and finding an old school playbook on small ball to move runners once in a while).

4 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

He only had 279 plate appearances

Yeah he mostly played against LHP. Either way I think that’s deserving of more than his mutual option. Of course there seems to have been something in that Arizona water this year.