Elias on contract extensions

Sports Guy

1 minute ago, Jagwar said:

Extend Gunnar. That's it. Hold off on any other players until they earn it. If Elias gets the go ahead to really increase payroll, sign Burnes, a high leverage BP piece and a MOO.

What more does Westburg have to do to "earn" it?

Learn to get his hand out of the of the ball?

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

What more does Westburg have to do to "earn" it?

Learn to get his hand out of the of the ball?

Gunnar had an OPS 100 points higher in each of the last two years. His fWAR for the last two years was 8.0/4.7 compared to Westburg's 2.8/1.0 (Yes in fewer games). I like Westburg a lot and I'm glad he's an Oriole. But he's not (yet) in the same class as Gunnar Henderson.

2 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

Gunnar had an OPS 100 points higher in each of the last two years. His fWAR for the last two years was 8.0/4.7 compared to Westburg's 2.8/1.0 (Yes in fewer games). I like Westburg a lot and I'm glad he's an Oriole. But he's not (yet) in the same class as Gunnar Henderson.

i wasn't suggesting we give them both the same deal. 

Just now, Jagwar said:

So what type of deal do you think each player warrants?

I'm crap with numbers and it's been a rough night so I'm not even going to try.

I'd give Gunnar a Witt-like deal and Westburg something more reasonable with more protections for the club.

I think if you can get Westburg locked up to something with reasonable terms it's a good idea to do it.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm crap with numbers and it's been a rough night so I'm not even going to try.

I'd give Gunnar a Witt-like deal and Westburg something more reasonable with more protections for the club.

I think if you can get Westburg locked up to something with reasonable terms it's a good idea to do it.

I agree with you on Gunnar. I'd wait on Westburg until he puts up a Gunnar like season, and spend money on Burnes this offseason.

Oh and do something temporary to bring the RF wall in 10-15 feet

14 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

I agree with you on Gunnar. I'd wait on Westburg until he puts up a Gunnar like season, and spend money on Burnes this offseason.

Oh and do something temporary to bring the RF wall in 10-15 feet

So if Westburg ends up being a very good but not MVP level player you aren't interesting in extending him at a team friendly rate?

I disagree with your strategy.

If you can lock up even a young 3 win player at a team friendly rate I say do it.

Only ones I’d look to extend now are Gunnar, and maybe Holliday or Basallo. Premium defensive positions and young enough to not worry about going past their primes. Westburg would need to be a team friendly deal as he’s older and I wonder if we’re getting his best years now. 

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

The decision is not up to Elias. It’s up to Rubenstein. It’s all on him. 

I doubt if Gunnar was signed longterm Mike would throw a fit about it. 

This makes no sense. Of course Elias & the baseball operations team would have some say in who gets extended, and who shouldn't. Rubenstein has control of the payroll budget Elias would need to work within, and final say on the extension and it's value.

I'd assume Elias wouldn't want to extend Gunnar for a price that wouldn't allow for a winning roster to be built around him.

It's some word salad for sure. Don't really expect any GM to come out and say "WE'RE BACKING UP THE DUMP TRUCK FULL OF CASH AS WE SPEAK". 

Gunnar is the only one really worthy of an early extension IMO. Maybe Westburg. Adley is a bucket of red flags right now, as is Grayson with his recurring injury. No one else has really performed to warrant an extension. 

I think you have to do your due diligence on extending Gunnar, Westburg and Cowser. Obviously they all 3 would get very different deals. Gunnar offered a deal close to what Witt got, Westburg and Cowser something a good bit less than that in aav and length.

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

Gunnar is the only one really worthy of an early extension IMO. Maybe Westburg. Adley is a bucket of red flags right now, as is Grayson with his recurring injury. No one else has really performed to warrant an extension. 

Agree but both Gunnar and Westy are represented by you know who so I'm not getting my pants all wet waiting for an extension to happen. More interested in how Elias will construct next year's team.