Kevin Seitzer hitting coach?

Big O

3 hours ago, JR Oriole said:

TBH, I don't know what wins playoff games since I support a team that doesn't win any of them. Watching these playoffs, I am still getting used to the idea that hitters from other teams can actually come through. Even the much maligned Giancarlo Stanton can do it now. 

But, we have a good offensive philosophy.  So we could always make no changes and just assume things will work out better next year.  We seem more comfortable with the "minimal or no changes" approach to things anyway.

Not being contentious, but wondering what you perceive is our hitting philosophy?

29 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

Not being contentious, but wondering what you perceive is our hitting philosophy?

I was being a little sarcastic with comment of "...we have a good offensive philosophy," mainly because I don't actually know if we do. I know the stats are there over a full season to support it. But from a viewing perspective, our hitters aren't enjoyable to watch. Seeing guys fail to make productive outs, swing at low and away garbage or pitches that hit you, try to hit homers on pitches well above the strike zone, ground out to second constantly (except with a runner on second and no out), and come up empty so many times with RISP was exhausting. Also feels like they were constantly fooled with whatever pitch they were expecting versus what they got.  

So while it appears that the philosophy is a swing really hard at everything approach, I am sure that is too simplistic. But that being said, I do not think though that our philosophy would involve a safety squeeze with runners on 1st and 3rd like what Cleveland did last night....which ended up producing the deciding run in the game and may have saved their season. 

7 minutes ago, JR Oriole said:

I was being a little sarcastic with comment of "...we have a good offensive philosophy," mainly because I don't actually know if we do. I know the stats are there over a full season to support it. But from a viewing perspective, our hitters aren't enjoyable to watch. Seeing guys fail to make productive outs, swing at low and away garbage or pitches that hit you, try to hit homers on pitches well above the strike zone, ground out to second constantly (except with a runner on second and no out), and come up empty so many times with RISP was exhausting. Also feels like they were constantly fooled with whatever pitch they were expecting versus what they got.  

So while it appears that the philosophy is a swing really hard at everything approach, I am sure that is too simplistic. But that being said, I do not think though that our philosophy would involve a safety squeeze with runners on 1st and 3rd like what Cleveland did last night....which ended up producing the deciding run in the game and may have saved their season. 

I agree, I have seen the same things. I made the point yesterday that AJ Hinch makes excellent moves and seems to use his players to their strengths. 
The Orioles focus a great deal on left – right matchups, almost to the exclusion of all else, and seem unwilling or unable to adjust their plate approach to the situation at hand.

Whatever the Tigers do from now on, it is immediately obvious that Hinch is responsible for a lot of of their success.

12 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

I agree, I have seen the same things. I made the point yesterday that AJ Hinch makes excellent moves and seems to use his players to their strengths. 
The Orioles focus a great deal on left – right matchups, almost to the exclusion of all else, and seem unwilling or unable to adjust their plate approach to the situation at hand.

Whatever the Tigers do from now on, it is immediately obvious that Hinch is responsible for a lot of of their success.

I find the left-right matchup focus on both the pitching and hitting side to be dull and annoying, but it could be a case that all teams do this and I just don't pay attention to them as much.  I understood it back when Randy Johnson was by far the most dominant lefty in the game and stacking a lineup of right handers made sense (and certainly worked in the '97 ALDS), but I don't think every lefty pitcher the opposition throws out there means we automatically have to go heavy on right handed hitters, and vice versa.  I am not sure how a hitter ever gets better at facing guys with the same dominant arm if they face them so infrequently, but I think managers are very hesitant to make any moves that they can't use the analytics to support after the fact....especially if the move doesn't work out.

Hinch has been the difference maker to me for the Tigers.    

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Just a thought. Sometimes guys get bumped in order to keep someone else. 
Coaching moves are odd at times. 

It's definitely a possibility, but I wonder if there is actually something going on between Hyde and some players, would it be smart to bring his potential replacement in and subject him to the problem? 

The fans, mostly here are the main source of BB being a manager. He's definitely had some MiL success so it's not unreasonable to assume he will be a manager someday. 

59 minutes ago, JR Oriole said:

I find the left-right matchup focus on both the pitching and hitting side to be dull and annoying, but it could be a case that all teams do this and I just don't pay attention to them as much.  I understood it back when Randy Johnson was by far the most dominant lefty in the game and stacking a lineup of right handers made sense (and certainly worked in the '97 ALDS), but I don't think every lefty pitcher the opposition throws out there means we automatically have to go heavy on right handed hitters, and vice versa.  I am not sure how a hitter ever gets better at facing guys with the same dominant arm if they face them so infrequently, but I think managers are very hesitant to make any moves that they can't use the analytics to support after the fact....especially if the move doesn't work out.

Hinch has been the difference maker to me for the Tigers.    

Hinch uses L/R matchups as much or more than anyone in the game.  So you're criticizing that thought process, but glorifying Hinch, in the same post?  That's odd.