Do we agree that developing Kjerstad RF, Holliday 2B and Mayo 1B/DH.......

wildcard

1B is the one major weakness offensively where the O's should look to upgrade. Mountcastle simply isn't bringing enough production there, and you can't really count on O'Hearn over there either, though it would be smart to bring him back. 

On 10/13/2024 at 9:36 AM, wildcard said:

According to Elias Mayo's 3B defensive development is behind his 1B development.   To get his bat in the lineup 1B/DH seems like his quickest path the majors.

Can you share a link for this?  I missed that and would like to read the context. 

46 minutes ago, interloper said:

1B is the one major weakness offensively where the O's should look to upgrade. Mountcastle simply isn't bringing enough production there, and you can't really count on O'Hearn over there either, though it would be smart to bring him back. 

Here's your list of FA 1Bs: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/09/previewing-the-2024-25-free-agent-class-first-base.html

I like Carlos Santana, despite his age, as he is solid on both sides of the ball. Would Bellinger be a crazy idea? 

5 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Here's your list of FA 1Bs: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/09/previewing-the-2024-25-free-agent-class-first-base.html

I like Carlos Santana, despite his age, as he is solid on both sides of the ball. Would Bellinger be a crazy idea? 

I'm pretty sure Bellinger is going to opt-in after his solid but unspectacular 2024.

5 hours ago, interloper said:

The Orioles were 6th in WAA at 1b in the entire major leagues.

They got good solid production out of first base from youngish, cheapish guys who they aren't locked into long-term commitments to and they have a top prospect who looks to be most naturally a 1b.

Why on Earth would they be looking to make a significant financial commitment to a 1b, especially as it's unlikely to upgrade their actual production at 1b?

21 hours ago, eddie83 said:

He is 20 years old. Without question he can get better both sides of the ball. 

His skills should be fine at 2nd.  

He'll definitely get better as a hitter, but he's one of the worst defensive infielders I've seen in decades of watching baseball. It's an easy decision to move him to the outfield, where he'd help the team more with CF depth and be less of a defensive liability overall. 

This team is much better next season with Holliday in CF, Mullins as the 4th OF, and a free agent 2B. It's easier to find 2B in trades and free agency than it is to find a CF. 

If Jackson Merrill can move from SS to CF, so can Holliday. And Holliday helps his long-term value as a CF instead of a 2B, so Holliday will want to make the move also. 

2 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

He'll definitely get better as a hitter, but he's one of the worst defensive infielders I've seen in decades of watching baseball. It's an easy decision to move him to the outfield, where he'd help the team more with CF depth and be less of a defensive liability overall. 

This team is much better next season with Holliday in CF, Mullins as the 4th OF, and a free agent 2B. It's easier to find 2B in trades and free agency than it is to find a CF. 

If Jackson Merrill can move from SS to CF, so can Holliday. And Holliday helps his long-term value as a CF instead of a 2B, so Holliday will want to make the move also. 

Everything else aside, what evidence is there to suggest Holliday would be better than Mullins next year?

47 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

He was rated the #1 prospect in baseball. If he didn’t have the glove skills he doesn’t get rated that high. He has played on the dirt his whole life. 

Cowser is capable of playing CF. 

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

He was rated the #1 prospect in baseball. If he didn’t have the glove skills he doesn’t get rated that high. He has played on the dirt his whole life. 

Cowser is capable of playing CF. 

Vlad Jr was ranked as the #1 overall prospect in 2019.  Did he have the glove skills?

Delmon Young was the #1 overall prospect in 2005,2006 and 2007.  Did he have the glove skills?

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Vlad Jr was ranked as the #1 overall prospect in 2019.  Did he have the glove skills?

Delmon Young was the #1 overall prospect in 2005,2006 and 2007.  Did he have the glove skills?

So when I read scouting reports that say Holliday could play MLB SS I should ignore that? 

Vlad was one of the greatest hitting prospects ever. 

Just now, eddie83 said:

So when I read scouting reports that say Holliday could play MLB SS I should ignore that? 

Vlad was one of the greatest hitting prospects ever. 

Referencing a scouting report isn't the same as simply saying since he's the #1 prospect it means he has the skills.

I'll also say that scouting reports often end up wrong so I wouldn't write them in stone either.