How about Christian Walker?

TommyPickles

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I see no reason to go after a first baseman unless Mayo is traded.

I get that this board is impatient and I get that Mayo didn’t show well to start his career.

However, he has dominated the minors. He is a top 10 prospect and some of the advanced metric lists have had him in the top 5.

He has monster power, will walk, high EV rates, etc…he is a cost controlled potential superstar level talent.  The Os are not just going to push him aside or have him continue to tear up the minors. It’s time. He has to get everyday at bats.

He needs to work on his swing (less uppercut) and he has to work on his defense at first. That is what the offseason is for. 

You bring back OHearn or Mounty (assumption is Mounty has more value, so trade him) and they are your fall back to Mayo.  You also have Kjerstad practice a lot with the first base mitt in the offseason and eventually, Basallo likely comes into play.

And that’s the other part to this…you don’t block Basallo. 

I know people are tired of the young guys but the reality is that these are the best prospects in the sport. They have done everything asked of them at the minor league level. You have to create space for them unless you trade them…and maybe that’s what some want but be careful what you wish for.

I agree with Mayo and the fact that Basallo will probably need some playing time at 1B suggests signing a 1st baseman is probably not high on Elias's to do list. 

Saying that, a power hitting right-handed RFer/DH is probably higher on the list.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I agree with Mayo and the fact that Basallo will probably need some playing time at 1B suggests signing a 1st baseman is probably not high on Elias's to do list. 

Saying that, a power hitting right-handed RFer/DH is probably higher on the list.

Who would you think would fit that role well Tony?

35 minutes ago, kidrock said:

I know of a pretty good one that was just nominated for a gold glove............lol..............

He happens to be left-handed unfortunately but if you can accept a .966 OPS vs LHP I think it's still worth the slight dropoff compared to vs RHP.

8 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I get it, but my fear is that we start of with the Mountcastle/O'Hearn duo again, not allowing us to either 1) improve the position with a FA 2) free up a roster space with 1 player versus two and/or 3) don't really let Mayo (and later Basallo) get the playing time.  I don't hate Mountcastle and the O'Hearn story has been awesome.  But I'm ready to put the 2 headed monster out to pasture and move on from both of them.  The swing and miss from this team kills me, and Mountcastle is one of the main culprits.  I either want to see us bring in a Walker or let the kids try.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kidrock said:

This time of year I leave the speculations to the many smart people on here as I focus on my prospect work. Saying that, while Tyler O'Neill is not a very good defensive outfielder and has not played a ton of RF (though he might fit well there in Camden Yards), his bats profiles as a lefty masher. Saying that, he would have hit only 24 home runs vs 31 if he played at Camden Yards so you have to take Waltimore into consideration. 

1 hour ago, Aglets said:

I know of a pretty good one that was just nominated for a gold glove............lol..............

He happens to be left-handed unfortunately but if you can accept a .966 OPS vs LHP I think it's still worth the slight dropoff compared to vs RHP.

I wonder if Hyde would platoon him?  😂