4/27 vs Texas

Big Mac

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I disagree. He points out mistakes when it's appropriate regardless of the player. Like any quality manager, he won't embarrass his guys in the press. It's handled behind closed doors.

Notice Payton and Hernandez are no longer with the team. That's how it was handled. It doesn't do anyone any good to blast a guy publicly, especially if you're trying to dump their contracts on somebody.

Not a double standard, just smart management.

I will agree to disagree with you. I recall him publicly blasting some younger players for mistakes, you obviously do not have the same recollection.

No way should we drop Wigginton for Salazar.

Once Mora returns and Wigginton can play mostly against LHP, he will be much more effective.

I ... disagree.

Salazar is hitting .400 in Norfolk. I don't know how his fielding is, but no news is good news. Haven't seen anything about it on MASN's minor league coverage or in the Minor League forum here, so he must not be embarassing himself.

Wigginton is exhibiting consistently poor plate discipline and making errors.

I am fully aware it is a small sample size and I am not a professional scout, but I don't like what I'm seeing in his plate appearances and defense. And the first pitch flyout problem has only been getting worse. 3 pop outs yesterday and 3 today.

If the O's wind up losing, Albers is going to be wearing the goat horns, but Guthrie really deserves a lot of blame. You need your number one starter to be able to go more than 5 innings. Turn a one run lead over to the bullpen in the 6th, you deserve what you get.

Thats the problem, he's not a # 1

If the O's wind up losing, Albers is going to be wearing the goat horns, but Guthrie really deserves a lot of blame. You need your number one starter to be able to go more than 5 innings. Turn a one run lead over to the bullpen in the 6th, you deserve what you get.

It looked to me like that was all Texas and their crazy batting skills. Guthrie's pitches looked good and seemed to be going where he wanted them; he battled through it.

I ... disagree.

Salazar is hitting .400 in Norfolk. I don't know how his fielding is, but no news is good news. Haven't seen anything about it on MASN's minor league coverage or in the Minor League forum here, so he must not be embarassing himself.

Wigginton is exhibiting consistently poor plate discipline and making errors.

I am fully aware it is a small sample size and I am not a professional scout, but I don't like what I'm seeing in his plate appearances and defense. And the first pitch flyout problem has only been getting worse. 3 pop outs yesterday and 3 today.

Wigginton has a solid ML track record.

Salazar is a poor man's Ty Wigginton. They are virtually the same player, except Salazar isn't as good.

He had one tough inning and left with a lead... I disagree...

I will agree to disagree with you. I recall him publicly blasting some younger players for mistakes, you obviously do not have the same recollection.

I'd like to see any quotes of that sort. I don't think they exist. He might have mentioned a mistake, said something like "we need to stop running into outs", but Trembley's not in the habit of blasting anyone. He's a calculating guy. He chooses his words carefully and wisely.

Wigginton has a solid ML track record.

Salazar is a poor man's Ty Wigginton. They are virtually the same player, except Salazar isn't as good.

Wiggington Career: .269 / .329 / .456

I'm sorry, but I'm not convinced.

Last year, Salazar's .316 Norfolk averaged translated to .284 MLB average in 68 AB which is STILL better than Wigginton's career average. Hitting .400 now, he's only going to get better.

As a concession of sorts, I will say that in a similar number of plate appearances, they both have about the same fly-out numbers (Salazar's are still better).

Edit 1: Even if you just average his last 3 years to compensate for "Yeah, but he's hitting better in the last few years", he's still .276.

Edit 2: Oh man, Wiggy, PLEASE prove me wrong here.

Last year, Salazar's .316 Norfolk averaged translated to .284 MLB average in 68 AB which is STILL better than Wigginton's career average. Hitting .400 now, he's only going to get better.

As a concession of sorts, I will say that in a similar number of plate appearances, they both have about the same fly-out numbers (Salazar's are still better).

Why is Salazar only going to get better?

Edit 1: Even if you just average his last 3 years to compensate for "Yeah, but he's hitting better in the last few years", he's still .276.

Edit 2: Oh man, Wiggy, PLEASE prove me wrong here.

Well that .284 BA for Salazar in the ML last year is an extremely small sample size, so you can throw that out the window.

I will say that AAA stats for a 31 year old player don't mean much to me.

I'm sorry, but you're wrong on this one.

Archived