Tanner Scheppers

Whats up with this guy? He was a prettty big prospect last year until he got hurt, went unsigned and is back this year throwing for a community college(I guess it was an exhibition). Apparently his fastball is sitting in the mid-upper 90's and has a potential plus curve along with a developing change up that could also be above average. What are the chances he is still around for the 2nd round? Or does it look like he may be a 1st rounder this year?

Here is a link from Jason Mayo's draft reports about him

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y2009/reports.jsp?content=scheppers

His stuff to me sounds as good/better than anyone who is in our draft slot aside from Crow who is in the same boat as Scheppers(not having faced REAL competition in a year) I'm thinking this may be one of those guys who would be a upper 1st round talent but since he has injury history he may stick around a bit longer..........What do u guys think?

Whats up with this guy? He was a prettty big prospect last year until he got hurt, went unsigned and is back this year throwing for a community college(I guess it was an exhibition). Apparently his fastball is sitting in the mid-upper 90's and has a potential plus curve along with a developing change up that could also be above average. What are the chances he is still around for the 2nd round? Or does it look like he may be a 1st rounder this year?

His stuff to me sounds as good/better than anyone who is in our draft slot aside from Crow who is in the same boat as Scheppers(not having faced REAL competition in a year) I'm thinking this may be one of those guys who would be a upper 1st round talent but since he has injury history he may stick around a bit longer..........What do u guys think?

He's been sitting in the mid- to upper-90s in his sessions, showing a really sharp breaking ball according to Perfect Game cross-checkers. Provided he looks good in action, he'll likely be gone in the top 5 picks, perhaps even to SEA at 1:2. His pure stuff out-classes the other college arms being discussed in the top 10.

wow, I havent even heard him mentioned as being a top 5 candidate, I guess thats what a good few showings can do for you. I would love to get him, I guess he is someone else to consider and hope he will fall to us. Has Crow had any sessions yet?

Churchill called him the "Mark Sanchez" of the 2009 draft. Since he was drafted by the Pirates in Round 2, perhaps they might try to redraft him with the 4th pick...

Strasburg

Ackley

Matzek

Scheppers

That could very well be the draft order.

Churchill called him the "Mark Sanchez" of the 2009 draft. Since he was drafted by the Pirates in Round 2, perhaps they might try to redraft him with the 4th pick...

Strasburg

Ackley

Matzek

Scheppers

That could very well be the draft order.

That'd be nice, we'd have a choice of Green and White. I'd be very happy with either of those guys.

I am going to be pushing for us to get Scheppers now since we have a legit college pitcher around our draft slot with not so many questions about his stuff. Itd be nice to see Crow come out with a similar glowing report about him. They seem to have similar raw stuff with Scheppers possibly having a better fastball. Good for Schep though, he was a solid top 10 pick last year until the injury, now he will get the chance to be drafted even higher than pre-injury.

The Orioles drafted him in the 29th round of the 2005 draft. Too bad we couldn't sign him then.

After reading about this guy I really like him. I'd love to get him at #5. It's weird that I've never heard of him before this morning. No mock drafts that I have seen even mention him.

Most mock drafts you are reading are probably not by people actually out there and watching these kids. No knock, but there's a lot out there that is just compiling info and looking at player rankings to throw together a "mock". The problem is, most rankings out there were pre-season and will just now start to be updated (usually within a month of the draft the updates start coming out). I'd bet most mocks will start showing Scheppers in the top 5 moving forward.

As an aside, Scheppers didn't start throwing until recently (last couple of weeks), so I don't think many had seen him pitch since he worked out for PIT last year before declining to sign with them.

Man, imagine if the Pirates woulda signed him last year, Alvarez and Scheppers in the same draft would be pretty ridiculous. Even if we do not have the ability to nab him, it just gives us an extra option that we wouldnt have had before. It may bump Matzek to us or Ackley. I am hoping teams pass on him because he had a pitching related injury, I believe in his shoulder. Based off of my interpretation of scouting reports, Schep and Crow sound like very similar pitchers with similar attributes-excellent raw stuff and similar pitches. Give me 1 glowing Crow report and I'll be happy.

Archived