What did DT do wrong tonight?

El Gordo

I was less than optimistic when he used Wiggy to PH.

But then, when he sent Speedy Huff, thus turning Wiggy's unsurprising DP ball into a run, suddenly it all seemed like quite the masterful plan ;-)

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why on earth are you pitching to the guy who's arguably the hottest hitter in all of baseball in Aaron Hill with 2 out in the bottom of the 11th with a base open at first when a single wins the game for the Jays?

Absolutely horrid. Never let the other team's best hitter beat you in that situation.

Yet another loss where poor baserunning decisions, poor defensive decisions and bad managing decisions turned a winnable game into a loss. Where are all of these "good fundamentals" that Trembley is supposed to bring to this club?

21 men left on base + 3 runs vs a rookie + Sherrill's HR= Tremebly's fault. In fact our 4th run was because Dave sent the runner and should have resulted in more runs. But yeah its his fault

Everybody will focus on the pitching decisions from the latter part of the game. But they had TOO many chances to score runs and failed miserably.

Team LOB = 11

Individually -

Roberts = 4

Jones = 2

Markakis = 2

Huff = 1

Mora = 4

Scott = 1

Wiggington = 1

Montanez = 3

Zaun = 3

Izturis = 2

Your 20/20 hindsight is superb.

Was yelling at the TV the moment the first pitch was thrown to Hill over the plate. Didn't need any hindsight at all to see a walk off single coming.

I don't see why this was a tough decision for Trembley. Hill's hitting .375 and on fire with runners in scoring position. Rios is hitting .250 and has almost half as many RBIs as Hill thus far. If you believe in streaks and statistics at all, you have to pitch to Rios there.

Everybody will focus on the pitching decisions from the latter part of the game. But they had TOO many chances to score runs and failed miserably.

Team LOB = 11

Individually -

Roberts = 4

Jones = 2

Markakis = 2

Huff = 1

Mora = 4

Scott = 1

Wiggington = 1

Montanez = 3

Zaun = 3

Izturis = 2

What can DT do about that? Have situational hitting drills? Get a new team? I f you were the manager how would you fix this problem?

No, of course not... what did I say that implied that?

All you did was go an ona rant about how awful Trembley is and how today was a great example of just "how" wrong he is. If Sherrill comes thru in the 10th- noone is questioning DT.. oh but wait- that's right- less than a month into a supposed "rebuilding" season- he supposed to reshuffle his bullpen because of ONE BLOWN SAVE.

Man I am as pissed off as anyone- but everyone looking to lather blame all over Trembley's needs to relax. There will always be questionable calls by every manager at some point or another- but on a whole- Trembley is doing the best with what he's got IMO.

You do realize that most of winning is in the EXECUTION of playing baseball- nothing more. We have TOO many guys on this team NOT executing to be constantly criticizing the manager!

21 men left on base + 3 runs vs a rookie + Sherrill's HR= Tremebly's fault. In fact our 4th run was because Dave sent the runner and should have resulted in more runs. But yeah its his fault

How is this DT's fault? What would you do to correct this problem that DT isn't doing.

Was yelling at the TV the moment the first pitch was thrown to Hill over the plate. Didn't need any hindsight at all to see a walk off single coming.

I don't see why this was a tough decision for Trembley. Hill's hitting .375 and on fire with runners in scoring position. Rios is hitting .250 and has almost half as many RBIs as Hill thus far. If you believe in streaks and statistics at all, you have to pitch to Rios there.

While I think you are entirely overreacting here- because Hill had never faced Bass before and perhaps Trembley's factored that in. I personally had no problem with it simply for the fact that A) Rios always seems to do damage against us, and 2) It seems whenever a good batter is sitting behind someone getting an intentional walk, it seems to me they come thru more times than not.

That said- Bass has faced Rios 3 times before and struck him out twice- so that could have been looked at as a better matchup.

I really don't think it's as cut and dry as you say- but I could go either way. Simply comes down to execution- and calling out DT for that one play- when the "players" failed to execute quite a few key plays this game- is going overboard.

My grandmother could have hit that pitch. And she's dead!

C'mon bluedog, even Bass said that was a hanging slider that missed the spot by about a foot. Anyone hits that pitch.

Why on earth are you pitching to the guy who's arguably the hottest hitter in all of baseball in Aaron Hill with 2 out in the bottom of the 11th with a base open at first when a single wins the game for the Jays?

Absolutely horrid. Never let the other team's best hitter beat you in that situation.

Yet another loss where poor baserunning decisions, poor defensive decisions and bad managing decisions turned a winnable game into a loss. Where are all of these "good fundamentals" that Trembley is supposed to bring to this club?

Two darn good hitters coming behind him. Had he walked him and Rios or Wells had come through I think you could have posted the same post with different names.

While I think you are entirely overreacting here- because Hill had never faced Bass before and perhaps Trembley's factored that in. I personally had no problem with it simply for the fact that A) Rios always seems to do damage against us, and 2) It seems whenever a good batter is sitting behind someone getting an intentional walk, it seems to me they come thru more times than not.

That said- Bass has faced Rios 3 times before and struck him out twice- so that could have been looked at as a better matchup.

I really don't think it's as cut and dry as you say- but I could go either way. Simply comes down to execution- and calling out DT for that one play- when the "players" failed to execute quite a few key plays this game- is going overboard.

It's not one play. The O's are consistently horrible running the bases. They consistently make poor decisions defensively. Trembley often makes strange decisions that don't seem to take into consideration the stastical probabilities. These are all things that have been and continue to be problems for this team. A loss like today simply underscores the ongoing issues.

Cito Gaston also asks his guys to execute but he does everything he can to put his people into favorable matchups. It's a lot easier to execute if your manager does that.

Pitching to Aaron Hill with first base open and Alex Rios on deck: reasonable decision.

Insisting that George Sherrill is your closer, come hell or high water, even though he absolutely stinks against right handed hitters: terrible decision.

Amen to the infinitieth power.

Archived