Poll: Battle of the high school pitchers

If you had to draft one, who would you take?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. If you had to draft one, who would you take?

• Matzek (major league comp: Cole Hamels)
    • Purke (major league comp: Scott Kazmir)

I havent voted yet, but I like all of Purke, Matzek and Miller...... My order would probably be, Matzek first, Miller second, then Purke. I put Miller in front of Purke because you cannot deny Miller's upside. IMO this is just like drafting college pitchers, Matzek seems he would be the safest choice, Miller has the highest upside, but also IMO the least safest of the 3, and Purke is an even mix of upside and safety. Using this reasoning Purke may be the best pick, but with HS pitchers, so much can happen during their development. Though Matzek throws the softest of the 3, he could end up throwing the hardest for all we know, if you mix that with his pitchability and his good command of 4 possible plus pitches, he would be a front ender........

I havent voted yet, but I like all of Purke, Matzek and Miller...... My order would probably be, Matzek first, Miller second, then Purke. I put Miller in front of Purke because you cannot deny Miller's upside. IMO this is just like drafting college pitchers, Matzek seems he would be the safest choice, Miller has the highest upside, but also IMO the least safest of the 3, and Purke is an even mix of upside and safety. Using this reasoning Purke may be the best pick, but with HS pitchers, so much can happen during their development. Though Matzek throws the softest of the 3, he could end up throwing the hardest for all we know, if you mix that with his pitchability and his good command of 4 possible plus pitches, he would be a front ender........

Haven't really heard about Miller. I'll have to start a separate poll at a later date and make him an option. :D

What ever happened to Skaggs? Did he have a bad season? Or was that the guy who got kicked off of his high school team?

Krol was prevented from playing HS ball. Skaggs is fine, and will make a good draft selection.

Krol was prevented from playing HS ball. Skaggs is fine, and will make a good draft selection.

I think that makes it more likely he'll go to college. If he starts to slip, I'd like to take a flier on him and offer 2nd round money. I was impressed with the video you sent me.

Archived