Being Gutsy in the Bronx – 5/20

O's are Legends

Say what you will about Guthrie. We know he hasn't been good this year but he never completely blows up. He grinds and almost always keeps his team within striking distance.
His team got back in striking distance after he dug a 5-0 hole.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Say what you will about Guthrie. We know he hasn't been good this year but he never completely blows up. He grinds and almost always keeps his team within striking distance.

Your right. He has developed a habit of struggling early on and then settling down.

I'd sooner play somebody out of position and get my message across than just say "well Melvin, you can't go doing that." If the other player complains, tell them that Mora and his unnecessary decision forced your hand.

This is beyond the imbicilic. You bench a guy who is 3 for 3 in the game, for testing the weakest arm in MLB, when you are down two and there's one out?

Who's "he"?

I called it aggressive baserunning. That's what it was, nothing more and nothing less. If you think a guy should be benched for trying to take an extra base on a lengendarily weak-armed outfielder, I don't know how to steer you back into reality.

Dave should have learned by now that this team for some reason can't get away with aggressive baserunning for many many reasons. The botched hit and run, one among many, should have opened his eyes.

They'll both be gone by the start of next season at this rate.

This is beyond the imbicilic. You bench a guy who is 3 for 3 in the game, for testing the weakest arm in MLB, when you are down two and there's one out?

My thoughts exactly. Just because a play does not work does not make it bad baseball. Good swing, good decision, bad results.

Dave should have learned by now that this team for some reason can't get away with aggressive baserunning for many many reasons. The botched hit and run, one among many, should have opened his eyes.

They'll both be gone by the start of next season at this rate.

Both plays you referenced were the right play. We have our best hitter up against a pitcher throwing nothing but fastballs, and our best baserunner on first. You put the runner in motion, the fielders have to move openning up the right side for Nick. Nick struck out and Roberts did not get his usual jump.

As for Mora, I hope he hits the next one in the same spot and does the same thing. Damon made a good play but he needs a relay playing catch with his kids.

As for Roberts, am I the only one who seems to think he is doing to much jogging on ground balls.

Evidently, whenever something that's worth trying doesn't work out, there's always somebody who thinks it was a case of blatant irresponsibility and is deserving of punishment...

You are correct sir, and the other team never causes any of the negative Oriole results.

Archived