Out of the box...

If this year is a weak draft...and next year's is stronger. Could we just not sign our pick?

And keep the #5 next year, plus another pick--likely in the top 15-20 (hopefully)...

Two things.

1. Personally, I think Crow, Matzek, Wheeler and Scheppers are all worthy of our 1st round selection, so I don't really view 2009 as a weak draft.

2. That strikes me as a really cheap way (for lack of a better word) of doing business. I'd expect something like that from an ass backwards organization like the Nationals, not MacPhail, Jordan and the O's.

You then have to sign your 6th overall pick or you lose it. Any agent would use that as leverage to gain a massive contract. Basically it'd be "give me way over slot, or explain to your fans why you flushed a top ten pick down the drain."

You then have to sign your 6th overall pick or you lose it. Any agent would use that as leverage to gain a massive contract. Basically it'd be "give me way over slot, or explain to your fans why you flushed a top ten pick down the drain."

Ah...therein lies the rub.

Archived