Live Mock Draft... Monday at 8:30pm

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I mentioned to Greg, I am in a closing at another law firm, but will still be able to make my picks. This is wrapping up soon, so I'll be ready to focus here ahortly. If the other participants could please help with commentary on my picks, craw should know where I am coming from w/r/t defending a position. Thanks!

1:2

Seattle selects Dustin Ackley 1b/2b/CF

Ackley is pretty much fully baked as a hitter. Good strike zone judgement and contact skills. Questions as to where he plays.

Personally, I think other options like Crow and Matzek are better, but Seattle needs a lot of help.

Even with the talk recently that Seattle might be cooling on Ackley, I'd be shocked if he doesn't go #2.

The fun begins with SD at 3. Do they go with the big bonus and Tate? The HS arm like Matzek? Crow? A surprise?

SD is really up in the air right now.

Even with the talk recently that Seattle might be cooling on Ackley, I'd be shocked if he doesn't go #2.

The fun begins with SD at 3. Do they go with the big bonus and Tate? The HS arm like Matzek? Crow? A surprise?

SD is really up in the air right now.

Ditto. The main issues with Ackley is that it seems valid to question whether he will have much more than gap power and that he really has no true position at the moment.

1:3 San Diego Padres... Aaron Crow, RHP, Fort Worth Cats

The Padres typically avoid high school talent early and look for a safe and signable talent... and Crow fits the bill.

I would personally take Tyler Matzek here, but it is very, very close.

The Padres typically avoid high school talent early and look for a safe and signable talent... and Crow fits the bill.

Certainly will be interesting. A lot of black ink and tweets connecting Pads to Tate. Tate has some risk with the bat and his price though.

Ditto. The main issues with Ackley is that it seems valid to question whether he will have much more than gap power and that he really has no true position at the moment.

Yeah. The power bothers me more than the position. If he hits like people think he will, you can figure out the position thing later, especially for someone as athletic as Ackley.

The power thing is a bit more concerning, but I think he is the clear #2 in the draft. If he somehow slipped to the O's at 5, I have to believe JJ would do backflips to get him.

Gap power in that ballpark may play well to that team. Does Ackley remind people of Darren Erstad?

I know he is by no means the authority on the draft, and I've seen you disagree with him on here many times, but have you heard anything that Keith Law seems to have heard, would lead you to believe Crow may drop?

I wouldn't think so, but is that something you consider, that he may not even go Top 10?

Archived