O's Getting Serious About Sano?

Lucky Jim

The Orioles will attend a three-day workout for top Dominican shortstop prospect Miguel Angel Sano this month, another sign that the organization is considering making a serious run at signing the coveted international free agent.

Sano, a 6-foot-2, 190-pound 16-year-old who has drawn comparisons to Florida Marlins star shortstop Hanley Ramirez, worked out for the Orioles at their Dominican baseball academy June 5. Orioles director of player development David Stockstill said he was very impressed but the club wants to get a more extended look at the player who is reportedly seeking a signing bonus of about $5 million or $6 million. International free agents cannot sign with clubs until July 2.

Rob Plummer, the agent for Sano, acknowledged that he has spoken to Stockstill a couple of times within the past week and his client will work out for the Orioles from June 22-24. Stockstill confirmed the workouts, which will also be watched by his brother, Orioles director of international scouting John Stockstill.

"We've seen him a few times, but it gets back to our commitment of seeing the top players," John Stockstill said. "We're going to make sure we give him a thorough look and evaluation. We have legitimate interest, but we have to be sure of what we're seeing."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-osnotes0613,0,3100973.story

Interesting.

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Certainly a fair comment. I have to imagine we are not the only team attempting to sign this guy. We already know Pittsburgh is in on him. The Yankees can't be too far away either.

The Yankees are definitely in on him and Cashman was stated as saying they think they have a 50/50 shot of landing him.

Which part do you need to see?

The Orioles scout Sano, put up a good bid, or actually sign the kid?

The last two. I think our offer will be a token one to try to show that we are "serious" about pursuing top Latin talent.

There is no way our offer will be the highest on the table.

Which part do you need to see?

The Orioles scout Sano, put up a good bid, or actually sign the kid?

Pretty sure that if they don't sign the kid it won't get out what they bid for him. So I am thinking they would have to sign him to momentarily placate Jtrea.

The last two. I think our offer will be a token one to try to show that we are "serious" about pursuing top Latin talent.

There is no way our offer will be the highest on the table.

Here's a prediction. If Sano has multiple suitors (including the Yanks), which appears likely, then unless the O's are the top offer, you will argue it was simply a token bid, irrespective of the amount.

Archived