How long can YOU put up with losing.

NewMarketSean

This is a thread that warrants an answer from everyone who responds to the thread. We're not talking generalities here...I want specific answers from people about themselves.

OK...so it's been 12 years since we've had a winning season and this year is going to be lucky number 13 by the looks of it.

I know we're in year 3 of "the MacPhail Experiment" and AM has always said this is a long-term rebuilding plan. HOWEVER...I am neveretheless disappointed that we are STILL one of the worst teams in baseball. Record-wise, there is no improvement.

OK, we have more positions filled long-term than ever before, but we're still not getting results where it counts -- the standings.

For me, if 2010 is another downer year like 2009 has been thus far, and we're still 15-20 games out of first place by the All Star Break, I will have had enough.

You can tell me how high PLAYER X's OPS was for last month until you're blue in the face...but until we put it all together and improve in the standings, we're really just treading water.

So I guess what I am saying is that I want to see improvement in the standings, not just in an at-bat or a pitcher's start...but over the ENTIRE course of an entire 162 game season.

How about you?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I certainly agree that I ready to start seeing improvement in the W/L record and/or Standings. The problem is, its not like I can abandon them or start rooting for another team. I would probably give up watching baseball before that happened. But knowing what is coming down the pike will keep me interested for the next 2-3 years. If we are not better by then, my interested may start to wane . . .

This is a thread that warrants an answer from everyone who responds to the thread. We're not talking generalities here...I want specific answers from people about themselves.

OK...so it's been 12 years since we've had a winning season and this year is going to be lucky number 13 by the looks of it.

I know we're in year 3 of "the MacPhail Experiment" and AM has always said this is a long-term rebuilding plan. HOWEVER...I am neveretheless disappointed that we are STILL one of the worst teams in baseball. Record-wise, there is no improvement.

OK, we have more positions filled long-term than ever before, but we're still not getting results where it counts -- the standings.

For me, if 2010 is another downer year like 2009 has been thus far, and we're still 15-20 games out of first place by the All Star Break, I will have had enough.

You can tell me how high PLAYER X's OPS was for last month until you're blue in the face...but until we put it all together and improve in the standings, we're really just treading water.

So I guess what I am saying is that I want to see improvement in the standings, not just in an at-bat or a pitcher's start...but over the ENTIRE course of an entire 162 game season.

How about you?

It's simple, I'm an Oriole's fan, in good times and bad. Is it frustrating?? Absolutely. Still no reason to have "had enough". I'm from Baltimore and I bleed orange and black and nothing's ever gonna change that.

You can't look at it as 13 straight years because, since AM came onboard, there has been significant progress.

I'm fine with losing when we're doing it with future pieces which, for the most part, we've been doing this year. As for "games out" and improvements in the standings, that's life in the AL East. Put the O's in any other division and they don't look nearly as bad.

It's simple, I'm an Oriole's fan, in good times and bad. Is it frustrating?? Absolutely. Still no reason to have "had enough". I'm from Baltimore and I bleed orange and black and nothing's ever gonna change that.

I am not talking about abandoning the team. But 2010 will be the 4th year AM has been GM. If the players he's brought to Baltimore are showing no improvement in the standings then I will be saying that something needs to change.

I get tired of losing just as much as the next person. I think we are seeing steps in improvement. I go to about 15-20 games a year, and despite the losing, I really dont mind unless we play hard every night. The moment we start giving up and not trying is the part that frustrates me.

I am a bigger fan of the sport of baseball than the Orioles. I watch the game because I enjoy watching the game. The Orioles are my favorite team, regardless of winning or losing. Things will get better. I am a firm believer.

So to answer the question.............I will wait it out as long as it takes.

I still want to see improvement this year. Pretty major improvement.

To me this season feels a lot like 2004. That year, the team was 36-45 at the halfway point, same as this year. But in the second half they played well, going 42-39. Both the hitting and the pitching were significantly better in the second half. I believe something similar can be achieved this year. Put it this way, if the team ends up 70-92 I will consider this season to be extremely disappointing.

I expect a winning record next year, and will be very disappointed if that doesn't happen. Tillman, Arrieta and Matusz should all be here most of next year and that should be enough to propel the team to a winning record.

But to answer the question you asked about how long I can "put up" with losing, the answer is, as long as it takes. I am a lifelong fan of this team and nothing is going to change that for me. I will tune in, watch the games, and hope for things to get better, no matter how long they continue to lose and how many times they disappoint me.

How about you?

I'm right with you. If Jones/Markakis/Reimold/Wieters/Roberts are all part of our playoff future, then we need to see improvement in the second half of the season. I would hope 3 of our current starters could be part of next years rotation in April, Guthrie/Bergeson/Hernandez.

I'm not asking for us to play like a playoff team right now...but how about flirting with .500! This team should play .500 ball from the all star break to the end of the season...this would give us some momentum going into 2010. But if they play 10 games under, then there will be little reason to be excited going into the off season.

W/L are what it's about... and at some point we have to start seeing more W's and fewer L's!

I am not talking about abandoning the team. But 2010 will be the 4th year AM has been GM. If the players he's brought to Baltimore are showing no improvement in the standings then I will be saying that something needs to change.

I doubt the young pitching doesn't pay dividends. I've been watching yuotube video's of all of the Big 3 and they are the real deal.

Archived