Nights like these get me by...

Hank Scorpio

Sucks that Arrieta ended up giving up the 4 runs...He was pitching so well.

I still mark it down as a positive outing. In a meaningful situation he may have been yanked a batter or two sooner. He still has a few things to learn, but he's progressing well.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sucks that Arrieta ended up giving up the 4 runs...He was pitching so well.

The runs suck, but i like to see them leave him in for 100 pitches (or close to it)

At the very least, we have to build his stamina. He's allowed to "tire out" since hes still in the minors and young.

He pitched great, no question, but im sure the staff wants to have him stretched out so long as it isnt a disaster. Hopefully he learns something about pitching later in games

It's a good thing Mike's not doing recaps tonight. He might pick Brian Matusz to be Hangout Player of the Night or something :)

Seriously though, one thing I've learned is to never doubt Brian Matusz, not for one frigging second. When he told me he was in a groove two months ago, holy @$%@!, I did not expect anything like this. Those who hated the pick last year better recognize, he's the real deal and will be in the rotation in Baltimore next year. Book it.

BTW, Smoak's batting .091 in AAA with an 0-for-3 so far tonight. I'm just saying...

I still mark it down as a positive outing. In a meaningful situation he may have been yanked a batter or two sooner. He still has a few things to learn, but he's progressing well.

The thing I take away from it is a good strike % and 1 walk.

But he has to keep the homers down.

Matusz is the best pitcher in the organization, majors or minors.

It's a good thing Mike's not doing recaps tonight. He might pick Brian Matusz to be Hangout Player of the Night or something :)

Seriously though, one thing I've learned is to never doubt Brian Matusz, not for one frigging second. When he told me he was in a groove two months ago, holy @$%@!, I did not expect anything like this. Those who hated the pick last year better recognize, he's the real deal and will be in the rotation in Baltimore next year. Book it.

BTW, Smoak's batting .091 in AAA with an 0-for-3 so far tonight. I'm just saying...

Good pitching beats good hitting ;)

Matusz is the best pitcher in the organization, majors or minors.

I think so. But I think his time in the minors has been well spent. The only reasons he won't pitch in the majors this year now are contract related.

I think so. But I think his time in the minors has been well spent. The only reasons he won't pitch in the majors this year now are contract related.

I think innings are actually more important. He's at 93 innings this year and he only pitched 105 last year, 123 the year before that. He probably won't go more than 160 or so.

Not true. He's making major strides on his fastball control, but he's got a little more work to do, and he's gotta watch his inning totals. I'd say you could see him as soon as opening day, but for this year I'd expect him to stay in some level of the minors.

Not true. He's making major strides on his fastball control, but he's got a little more work to do, and he's gotta watch his inning totals. I'd say you could see him as soon as opening day, but for this year I'd expect him to stay in some level of the minors.

The innings totals are definitely an issue, as I'm sure the O's don't want him topping 140 or so. But I think if he's throwing to an 0.34 ERA his fastball command isn't really an issue any more. He had some lessons to learn, but he's learned them. He could pitch in the majors right now and be pretty effective, but I have no illusions that the O's plan to do that. Fine with me, I say give him 3-4 weeks in the minors next year (for service time reasons) and bring him up.

46.1, but really, who the heck's counting!

That's just silly. Roughly, a .22 ERA for the time in question. There is zero reason he should be held back in Bowie. At this point, we need to make room for him. Pauley can come down as he really won't be needed by the team and he is, at this point, minor league filler.

Archived