Poll: Are you disappointed with the lack of international signings?

ChaosLex

Are you disappointed with the lack of international signings?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Are you disappointed with the lack of international signings?

Tony-OH doesn't think we're players for Sano and bigbird says we're not signing any impact international talent.

Lots of teams (including the abysmal Nats and Pirates) are running around signing talent while the O's have done... well, squadoosh.

Does this bother anyone or is it much ado about nothing? Poll to come...

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can understand missing out on Sano and Chapman (if we do), but I'm concerned that we haven't signed anyone yet.

Is that normal? Especially for a team as depleted as we are when it comes to position prospects?

I would not be shocked to find out that the O's have in fact signed a few folks. They have policy of not announcing anything untill physicals are completed and they seem to prefer making mass anouncements instead of trickling them out one at a time.

That being said I will be very disappointed if the O's do not open the wallets for premium talent in the international market. It is hard enough to overtake the Yanks and Sox without allowing them an advantage in this area as well.

The O's payroll has been steadily declining under AM's tenure and they went the inexpensive route with the first round draft pick this year, it would be nice to see some reinvestment into the team.

I voted No.

Our system is fine. Plus it seems like this war cry has started and then began to intensify over the past few months...with a certain few looking to bash MacPhail any way they can.

These posters seem to think fingers can be snapped and changes can be made and thats not the case. It's gonna take a few years to establish a presence in the Dominican. At least this regime has recognized that it's something that needs to be taken care of and have started to take care of it rather than keep ignoring things like the other FO's we've had.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to get Sano as much as anyone else but I'm not going to call it a crushing blow to this franchise if we don't. Nor will I start calling for MacPhails job or start spouting off about how Angelos is a tightwad or any of the other war cries that have been found on here.

There will be another 16 year old Dominican prodigy eventually. Sano isn't the end all, be all.

There really is no logic in responding "no" in this poll.

The question basically is this...Are you happy the Orioles haven't added better talent to the organization? Well duh, of course not...The Orioles always need to be adding talent.

People keep saying, things are changing because we have a presence...Who the hell cares about a presence if you all do is work them out but don't sign them?

There really is no logic in responding "no" in this poll.

The question basically is this...Are you happy the Orioles haven't added better talent to the organization? Well duh, of course not...The Orioles always need to be adding talent.

People keep saying, things are changing because we have a presence...Who the hell cares about a presence if you all do is work them out but don't sign them?

We definitely need to start signing players, but you can't start signing guys immediately there until you do have that established presence. Maybe a couple of the big guys that everybody knows, but the value of a DR system is to get some lesser guys that develop late as well. We're building that. As long as it gets built, and they start injecting talent into our system, that's great.

Obviously it'd be better if we already were there and could sign talent now. Anybody saying we don't need any of this year's crop is just painting a rosy picture. It is disappointing if we don't sign anybody, but that doesn't necessarily mean they made a mistake this year. We're late to the party and have to play catch up, but at least we're finally at the party.

We definitely need to start signing players, but you can't start signing guys immediately there until you do have that established presence. Maybe a couple of the big guys that everybody knows, but the value of a DR system is to get some lesser guys that develop late as well. We're building that. As long as it gets built, and they start injecting talent into our system, that's great.

So how long does it take to "establish a presence"? I would think two full years of making international scouting and development a priority would result in some tangible progress.

Obviously it'd be better if we already were there and could sign talent now. Anybody saying we don't need any of this year's crop is just painting a rosy picture. It is disappointing if we don't sign anybody, but that doesn't necessarily mean they made a mistake this year. We're late to the party and have to play catch up, but at least we're finally at the party.

But the other teams are signing guys.

You see, so many of you have jumped on Bigbird recently but this is what he is talking about...The more time we waste not getting better, the farther away we get from Boston and NY...they are making these moves..They are doing the neccassary things and then, on top of that, they are starting way ahead of us to begin with.

Bigbird has talked about how when all of our young guys are ready to be very good, the Yanks and Sox will be going through the same thing and they will be able to spend more and have more depth.

Every day, week, month, year that goes by where AM isn't drastically improving things, we fall that much further behind the big boys.

Have relationships down there is important...But money rules all...The Orioles aren't down there throwing around the money as much as they need to be..Its that simple.

So how long does it take to "establish a presence"? I would think two full years of making international scouting and development a priority would result in some tangible progress.

Yea...We heard similar bs last year...Every year, there is another excuse and every year, we fall further back.

If you aren't going to spend in the draft and you aren't going to spend in Int'l talent and you aren't going to make more trades and you aren't going to sign the big time FAs, how exactly are you going to get better?

I can understand missing out on Sano and Chapman (if we do), but I'm concerned that we haven't signed anyone yet.

Is that normal? Especially for a team as depleted as we are when it comes to position prospects?

There are so many 5 and 6 figure guys that we could be signing right now even if we missed out on Sano.

But the other teams are signing guys.

You see, so many of you have jumped on Bigbird recently but this is what he is talking about...The more time we waste not getting better, the farther away we get from Boston and NY...they are making these moves..They are doing the neccassary things and then, on top of that, they are starting way ahead of us to begin with.

Bigbird has talked about how when all of our young guys are ready to be very good, the Yanks and Sox will be going through the same thing and they will be able to spend more and have more depth.

Every day, week, month, year that goes by where AM isn't drastically improving things, we fall that much further behind the big boys.

Have relationships down there is important...But money rules all...The Orioles aren't down there throwing around the money as much as they need to be..Its that simple.

If we never get established and start signing players, then you're right.

But you can't be too mad at not coming away with anything meaningful during the first year we're there in a serious way. It takes time to get set up. They've worked hard, but maybe it is just too much ground to make up in too short of a time.

I'll be mad if they don't get guys over the next couple years. But its hard to get too upset about them striking out in their first attempt. Its like getting mad at Wieters for going 0-4 in his debut.

Tony-OH doesn't think we're players for Sano and bigbird says we're not signing any impact international talent.

Lots of teams (including the abysmal Nats and Pirates) are running around signing talent while the O's have done... well, squadoosh.

Does this bother anyone or is it much ado about nothing? Poll to come...

Yes I am. I am hoping there will be more from the Pacific Realm. I don't know why the FO doesn't go after more international talent.

If we never get established and start signing players, then you're right.

But you can't be too mad at not coming away with anything meaningful during the first year we're there in a serious way. It takes time to get set up. They've worked hard, but maybe it is just too much ground to make up in too short of a time.

I'll be mad if they don't get guys over the next couple years. But its hard to get too upset about them striking out in their first attempt. Its like getting mad at Wieters for going 0-4 in his debut.

Are they making offers? Are they out there blowing away the offers of other teams or are they sitting back and hoping?

There is no evidence that they are making offers and just getting beat, is there?

No matter what relationship you have with someone, if you are willing to throw money at them, especially a lot more than someone else, they will at least hear you out.

Are they making offers? Are they out there blowing away the offers of other teams or are they sitting back and hoping?

There is no evidence that they are making offers and just getting beat, is there?

No matter what relationship you have with someone, if you are willing to throw money at them, especially a lot more than someone else, they will at least hear you out.

I thought we were in the running for Sano...

Archived