How can you guys not be talking more about Sano?

Mashed Potatoes

If that's the case, they'll lose out. Sano is only taking the highest bid. If you aren't going to be that, you are just wasting your time going after him.

Do you understand how an auction works? Do you have any economic sense at all?

Maybe we think he's worth $4m and we're unsure how high others will go, so we're testing him out. That doesn't mean that we should give him $6m just because we "want" him. It's seriously nuts. You're not even illogical anymore. You're alogical.

It's like you've never been introduced to logic. Wouldn't recognize it if it bumped into you on the street (and - probably - stole your wallet.)

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If that's the case, they'll lose out. Sano is only taking the highest bid. If you aren't going to be that, you are just wasting your time going after him.

$1-2 million more isn't going to cripple the Orioles' budget...

That's not the point. You don't make personnel decisions like that. No sane person does.

Whatever it takes. There is no second place. If the Pirates bid $5 mil, we should go with "wow" offer and put $9 mil on the plate. That'll show'em. That's how good baseball teams are run.

That is not how good baseball teams are run. That is how the Yankees are run. That said I would like Sano as much as the next guy, but one player does not a World Series contender make.

Do you understand how an auction works? Do you have any economic sense at all?

Maybe we think he's worth $4m and we're unsure how high others will go, so we're testing him out. That doesn't mean that we should give him $6m just because we "want" him. It's seriously nuts. You're not even illogical anymore. You're alogical.

It's like you've never been introduced to logic. Wouldn't recognize it if it bumped into you on the street (and - probably - stole your wallet.)

I understand the final bid wins an auction. So you offer say $4 million as a starting offer, wait to see what happens, and top the final bid at the last moment...

Our starting offer should be impressive however. We need to go into this with guns blazing.

This is, once again, ridiculous. They shouldn't pay a penny more than they think he is worth. You don't top someone who is overpaying.

I may want a bottle of Krug Clos du Mesnil when I go to a restaurant, but I'm not going to pay $2500 for it. I may go to $1200 - or even $1800 - but there simply no reason to pay $2500.*

*Edited to note that that's a hypothetical.

Because we all know you would have the same delima over a bottle of Boone's farm. :D Basically you are the PA of dinner beverages, won't pay what anything is worth and end up drinking tap water. j/k:wedge:

I wish people would stop giving him opportunities to ruin thread after thread.

This could be very interesting if AM is ready to get involved. Apparently, everything checks out with his age, and that last scouting report is certainly glowing. Has anyone seen any comments from our guys about him?

I understand the final bid wins an auction. So you offer say $4 million as a starting offer, wait to see what happens, and top the final bid at the last moment...

Our starting offer should be impressive however. We need to go into this with guns blazing.

No. I mean how an auction works if you're a buyer at one. Have you ever been a buyer at an auction?

Signing Sano would be another watershed moment for this franchise. MacPhail has never ponied up for premium amateur FA talent. This is his chance...

Hee Seop Choi, Carlos Zambrano, Felix Pie, Juan Cruz

That's what I'm talking about. Let's go and shoot all of the other scouting directors. If they can't make an offer, we can't lose. Neo style. Maybe we can get Jason Statham to help us out. Take the auction hostage and demand Sano sign with the Orioles. And give him $13 mil and a ML contract.

(Sung to the tune of "the Green Berets", preferably whilst jumping a shark.)

The Orioles must overpay

To keep my rage safely at bay

When free agents come their way

I say overpay

I say overpay

King Teixeira would have come

Had they flashed the proper sum

But MacPhail he was too dumb

Wouldn't overpay

Wouldn't overpay...

3 of 4 were misses too.

And these are only the guys who made it relatively high in the system and became BA listed prospects, since that is where I got the info. I'm sure that there are others who were big deal signings but who never progressed beyond low A or even the rookie leagues.

Saying MacPhail has never signed premium amateur talent is utterly, utterly ridiculous.

Archived