Zaun to the Rays

Miller192

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we gave him away for nothing, what was the point in signing him to that contract in the first place, just a few months ago? It's not like he's flat out stunk, since being a back up he's actually hit very well.

Must be something coming back, no matter how small.

Will it depend on how Zaun has performed?

I doubt that. Kind of hard to make it based off of performance with a backup catcher given the irregular playing time and how backup catchers often have intangibles that don't show up in stat sheets.

My guess is that we're given a list of players to pick from to complete the trade or we get a guy who Tampa can't trade now.

That'll teach him to stand there and look at strike 3 with the winning runs on base!!! Or maybe he p*ssed someone off by saying something?

This is definitely one of those "what the ****?" moves that makes little to no sense for the Orioles except maybe the $$$. But if you're Greg Zaun, ya gotta be feeling good about a chance at getting to the playoffs.

Back to our front page post...

It's for a PTBNL and cash. They've recalled Chad Moeller to fill the spot on the 25-man roster.

I'll try to keep things updated until I leave the office.

It's going to suck waiting until frigging October again to hear what we got back! I wonder if the player coming back is dependant on the Rays performance the rest of the way or if this player is really too goo to clear waivers?

Time will tell--if we get back a token prospect, it's still a salary dump. A salary dump with a figleaf, like the Yankees' trade for Bobby Abreu a couple of seasons ago, as opposed to last year's Bradford trade, which was a pure salary dump.

Guess we have different definitions of salary dumps. I view a salary dump as a trade with the sole intention of getting rid of the salary. If we get back a token prospect, it's simply a trade of Zaun for a prospect.

EDIT: After rereading, I think my point wasn't exactly clear. To me, the intent of the trade is what makes it a salary dump or not. If we get a prospect and we wanted that prospect, it's not a salary dump.

Guess we have different definitions of salary dumps. I view a salary dump as a trade with the sole intention of getting rid of the salary. If we get back a token prospect, it's simply a trade of Zaun for a prospect.

Do you really expect it to be a token prospect? It'll probably be another Bradford situation. We'll wait around months and months trying to figure out who the prospect is, only to find out that really all we wanted and got was a little bit of cash.

Is it time for my annual spazz-out? If we got nothing but salary relief here I will be fit to be tied. I loved having Zaun here. And while I have nothing personal against Moeller, he can't hit. If he replaces Zaun I want Wieters catching 6 days a week the rest of the way.

yeah. Me too

Archived