Givens to be decided within the next 48 hours

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JJ says he doesn't know where it will go.

Givens says it's in the Os hands (perhaps implying he has lowered his demands as far as he will go).

Doesn't sound like JJ is where he wants it to be.

All things being equal, I'd like to see Givens signed, but we really don't know how far apart they are. If Givens doesn't sign and we pony up for two of Bush, Coffey or Ohlman, I'd be fine with that.

I am more upset that we passed on Mendonca and Kipnis in the second round and Dominquez in the third round.

Here is how I would have drafted in the first 4 rounds.

1.) Tyler Matzek

2.) Tom Mendonca

3.) Christopher Dominquez

4.) Max Stassi

If we had drafted that way, then we would be heading into the 2010 draft with 2 1st rounders and having lost a 4th rounder.

The Mendonca lovers may turn out to be right. Still I love to follow people who like their drafts better than Jordan's. Mednonca as a 21 yo in a short season league has an .892 OPS which is quite good. He also has 7 walks and 52 K's in 138 AB's which is not so good. Small sample size and we won't have a good read on him until maybe this time next season but I see a red flag in there somewhere.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=3B&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=545053

Major, major red flag in my opinion right there.

The Mendonca lovers may turn out to be right. Still I love to follow people who like their drafts better than Jordan's. Mednonca as a 21 yo in a short season league has an .892 OPS which is quite good. He also has 7 walks and 52 K's in 138 AB's which is not so good. Small sample size and we won't have a good read on him until maybe this time next season but I see a red flag in there somewhere.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=3B&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=545053

What is a bigger red flag...Those BBs and Ks or not signing your pick at all?

Major, major red flag in my opinion right there.

I was actually slightly surprised he went where he did. I saw him more of a 3rd or 4th round talent. I guess with the draft being short on corner infield talent, someone felt the need to jump. Of course short season stats are basically meaningless . . . but K'ing 40% of the time against guys with mainly fringe offspeed . . . not good.

What does this even mean? Are you asking, "Is it better to have a guy with a major red flag right off the bat or an extra pick the next year?"

Jordan has been very lucky over the years that his scouts have done a good job of guaging what the players want. I can only think of the 10th round pick in 2008 who went back on his word and went to Miami instead of signing for 5th round money. From everything I've heard about this situation, Givens had a change in his stance. It's America, the kid is allowed to change his mind, but the Orioles have every right to pass if they don't think he's worth what he's asking.

I'm ambivolent about the pick because honestly, I don't follow these guys close enough until they are drafted. After doing some research on Givens, I wasn't personally all that impressed (although I'm only going off of what I read about him and his scouting video) and the fact he has just sat around all summer doesn't make me think this is the kind of kid the Orioles should go over slot for.

Which would you rather have - the pick over again next year or the kid with the red flags?

We'll see about Mendonca as some at-bats in short-season should not define him, but this does not appear to be a pick to be jealous about.

Archived