Draft Chat - Rounds 1-5

bigbird

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But 3 of the 4 SS we've taken are high school kids, so not only is it kind of unlikely they stay at SS, but they probably won't be ready for at least 3-4 years.

I don't think this draft makes it any more or less likely that Tejada is traded. Looks more to me like we're just trying to stockile as many solid position prospects as we can.

Going with so many highschoolers is probably indicative of how weak they view this draft.

Exactly, You can never have too much depth and any one position, they players are getting drafted for a reason. That is why Jordan is in his position and we are sitting here debating the pick.....There is always a rhyme and reason.....Baseball draft is always a crap shoot

Here's what Sickels' had to say last week:

"The Tuesday Before Draft Day: Matt LaPorta

By John Sickels

Posted on Tue May 30, 2006 at 05:57:28 PM CST

Matt LaPorta, 1B, University of Florida

Was supposed to be a star college slugger this year and certain first round pick. But injuries and an early slump ruined his numbers: he hit just .259 in 158 at-bats. LaPorta did hit 14 homers and draw 28 walks, so he maintained his power and patience. But .259. . .that's an awfully low batting average for a talented college hitter, bad luck and injuries or not. At 6-1, 215 pounds, LaPorta is a powerful hitter from the right side of the plate, but will have to show that he can make contact against high-level breaking balls and changeups. His defense is not a major asset, so his bat will have to carry him. A Scott Boras client, LaPorta is a guy who could slide a lot farther than people expect, maybe even beyond the tenth round, if clubs think his bonus demands are unreasonable. Or he could still go in the first round, for a team willing to take a risk in exchange for a possible big power payoff."

I hope the Cubs take LaPorta. They've never been scared of Boras, or big signing money for draft picks. In fact they thrive on picking the guys that slip due to signability concerns.

Plus, they lost all their picks after the first round, so they won't be having to allocate $$$ to any 2, 3 or 4's.

Picking Jeff Samardjia in the 5th is another perfect example of this. Potential first-round talent, but drafted much later due to signability.

Come on now, would I let you guys down? Just trying to get my rep in the same stratosphere as you. :D

You had the info ready before my post even hit the boards! Nicely done.

Now if you can guess who we're taking next and get his info up before Jordan even makes the pick, then i'll be impressed!

Plus you figure Adams is a 2nd baseman and Rowell will go third.

Actually, Adams is projected as a 3B, according to BA's Draft Day Blog:

"The Orioles announced their second-round pick of Ryan Adams as a third baseman. A shortstop at Jesuit High in New Orleans, Adams bulked up this season and lacks the range to play middle infield. He also battled a hamstring injury which played a part in him slipping to the second round after opening the season as a potential first-round pick."

Sounds like an Aaron Hill type.

Archived