O's view Atkins as a cleanup hitter!?

ChaosLex

Please stop trying to add in conditions to call it off. Either they're at 3rd and 5th-or-6th or they're not.

I'm not adding in conditions...Just saying, they need to both be healthy and able to play.

That's a condition.

Same kind of goes if one of them gets suspended for doing something stupid...

Oh good grief, that's another one. Now you're saying it's off if one of them catches the measles or gets locked up on a DUI.

What are you gonna want to add next?

What happens if one of them forgets to set the alarm and oversleeps, is it off then too?

Howsabout if his pet cat dies and the guy is too upset to play? What then?

Or maybe his great uncle dies and he has to go to the funeral?

What happens if DT's dog eats the lineup card? Is it off then too?

But whatever...Maybe $500 is too much for Rshack and he is trying to get out of it?

Look, this is not hard. I meant exactly what I said to begin with.

I haven't been changing my story with every post. Here's what I said:

Yep, exactly. Just keep it simple... no if's or but's, just one simple "and" and that's it.

Either that's where those 2 guys are in the OD lineup or it isn't... no back doors or excuses...

Don't keep trying to change it with every post. It's always best to keep these things simple.

Look, we both know that both of them are almost certain to be in the OD lineup, so this is just fringy BS.

Are you gonna have all manner of do's and don't's about what happens if they're not?

Or every possible reason for not being in the lineup just the same as every other one?

Is a broken leg just like getting kidnapped by space aliens, or are they different?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll stick my nose in this.

You're either trying to weasel out of this yourself or you're trying to apply unreasonable conditions to the bet.

If someone's injured and plays on OD, it's valid. If someone gets into a car accident in spring training and misses two months, the bet isn't valid.

Well, that's how I'd do it anyway. You seem to be trying to weasel your way out of it after accusing SG of doing the same.

Hello? Is this your bet? No, it is not. So exactly why are you sticking your nose in?

Look, if you wanna make your own bet, that's fine. But keep it out of here, s'il vous plaît.

When I do something ridiculous for no good reason, I am perfectly capable of doing it just fine without your sage judgment about what is and isn't reasonable, thank you very much.

Plus, in what parallel universe is making a bet about something like this reasonable anyway? So, applying the criterion of "reasonable" to this is downright dumb to begin with.

As for your very helpful idea that I am, quote, trying to weasel out of this, unquote, you might wish to look back and see who has and hasn't been changing his story with almost every post. You will observe that I've said the same thing from the get-go. As I explained to our pal Gordo when he stuck his nose in and decided that the bet was off if AM made a trade...

No, the bet is not off. Who asked you? You can make your own bet, don't go sticking your nose into mine.

We're betting now about what happens later. Either the OD lineup has Nick at 3 and Matt at either 5 or 6, or else it doesn't.

If it does, then I pay him. If it doesn't, then he pays me. This has nothing to do with you.

Now, exactly what about that is hard to understand?

Not that its any of my business but I agree with you. That is not a condition it is just common sense. If they are unable to play health wise they won't be any spot in the lineup and the bet by necessity will be voided!:eek:

Oh, great, now we have FakeCodgerDude butting in too...

Mr. LookinUp, do you see the kind of company you're attracting?

What else does DT need to see?

Nick has stated he prefers to bat second and his numbers show that.

Wieters said that he prefers to bat third and last September, he hit well batting third.

Why is DT so clueless to these things? Just bat these 2 guys, who are likely your 2 best offensive players, in the spots in the lineup where they are the most comfortable and where their numbers bear out that they are better.

Why is this is do difficult for someone who has been around the game as long as DT has...Hell, why is this so difficult for a monkey?

How about waiting until Trembley actually sets a lineup in the regular season and we see what happens for a while before you start throwing out gratuitous insults. Jeez, its December and you're already calling a guy a monkey for a lineup that may never happen. Even if it does happen, give DT some slack. He hasn't seen a lot of Atkins, let him do what he wants in February and March and make some decisions when the year starts.

Hello? Is this your bet? No, it is not. So exactly why are you sticking your nose in?

Look, if you wanna make your own bet, that's fine. But keep it out of here, s'il vous plaît.

When I do something ridiculous for no good reason, I am perfectly capable of doing it just fine without your sage judgment about what is and isn't reasonable, thank you very much.

Plus, in what parallel universe is making a bet about something like this reasonable anyway? So, applying the criterion of "reasonable" to this is downright dumb to begin with.

As for your very helpful idea that I am, quote, trying to weasel out of this, unquote, you might wish to look back and see who has and hasn't been changing his story with almost every post. You will observe that I've said the same thing from the get-go. As I explained to our pal Gordo when he stuck his nose in and decided that the bet was off if AM made a trade...

internet-serious-business-cat.jpg

In 706 PA's Atkins stats batting 4th:

.276 AVG, .346 OBP, .427 SLG, .773 OPS

So even despite his success, he wasn't that great from the #4 spot.

In the 5th spot where he has over 1400 PAs he has this line:

.299/.354/.480/.834

Batting him 4th would be stupid IMO and just more of DT not looking at stats to optimize his lineup.

How about waiting until Trembley actually sets a lineup in the regular season and we see what happens for a while before you start throwing out gratuitous insults. Jeez, its December and you're already calling a guy a monkey for a lineup that may never happen. Even if it does happen, give DT some slack. He hasn't seen a lot of Atkins, let him do what he wants in February and March and make some decisions when the year starts.

Nick had 60 at bats batting second last year.

That's a condition.

Oh good grief, that's another one. Now you're saying it's off if one of them catches the measles or gets locked up on a DUI.

What are you gonna want to add next?

What happens if one of them forgets to set the alarm and oversleeps, is it off then too?

Howsabout if his pet cat dies and the guy is too upset to play? What then?

Or maybe his great uncle dies and he has to go to the funeral?

What happens if DT's dog eats the lineup card? Is it off then too?

I haven't been changing my story with every post. Here's what I said:

Don't keep trying to change it with every post. It's always best to keep these things simple.

Look, we both know that both of them are almost certain to be in the OD lineup, so this is just fringy BS.

Are you gonna have all manner of do's and don't's about what happens if they're not?

Or every possible reason for not being in the lineup just the same as every other one?

Is a broken leg just like getting kidnapped by space aliens, or are they different?

Its very simple...Assuming both players are in the OD lineup and not hurt or whatever, 500 says Nick is batting third and Wieters 5th or 6th..Are you doing the bet or not? Simple yes or no...Not your normal bs war and peace answer that no one cares about.

In 706 PA's Atkins stats batting 4th:

.276 AVG, .346 OBP, .427 SLG, .773 OPS

So even despite his success, he wasn't that great from the #4 spot.

In the 5th spot where he has over 1400 PAs he has this line:

.299/.354/.480/.834

Batting him 4th would be stupid IMO and just more of DT not looking at stats to optimize his lineup.

Sorry for keeping this ridiculous thread going, but just need to reiterate that there's no evidence that past numbers from batting order position splits have any predictive value. You might as well be quoting numbers for how someone hit on the third Tuesday of May.

If Trembley completely, totally ignores these kind of stats I'll applaud him with vigor.

BTW, I meant what I said to begin with as well:

Now, of course that doesn't mean things can't and won't change...But as of right now, I would bet a large sum of money that Nick is batting third and Wieters is batting 5th or 6th.

So, I acknowledged that things could change and that he could put these guys where he should...I also said that RIGHT NOW, that's where these guys would bat...I didn't say, I guarantee you that's where they are, etc.....

YOU ran with it and wanted to do the bet as if I am saying they will do this on OD, no doubt about it...And you know what, I am fine with that bet because I feel that's what will happen...However, my original statement was as of today, not April. Meaning if DT was interviewed and they asked him what his lineup would be, that would be his lineup.

So, if that happens and Nick is batting third and Matt 5th or 6th, I will have been correct...Whether that happens on OD or not is another story.

So, let's not talk about who is changing conditions of the bet and weaseling out of things...Because the "new bet" has nothing to do with what I originally said.

This post is classic RShack. For my response, please see classic ChaosLex. :D

I think this is way overblown. If Atkins hits as poorly as he did last year, he obviously won't stay clean-up for long. But if he returns to the level of a few years ago. he'd be great. We need a RH bat in the 4th spot, so why not at least consider him and give him a chance?

Archived