O's view Atkins as a cleanup hitter!?

ChaosLex

Didn't see that one coming.

Christopher said:

You don't think Jones will be hitting in the top 4?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Right now I think Reimold is more likely to hit second, but we'll see. Way early to project a lineup. Was just playing around with the top four - and right now, the organization sees Atkins as a potential cleanup hitter. - Roch

Orioles Tragic said:

Roch,

Do you really see Atkins as a clean-up hitter? I hope not. We really need to get a basher to put behind Nick. I think that with some legit protection in the line-up Nick's numbers would go through the roof. Who do you like more, Delgado or Blalock?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think that's where the organization sees him right now, though it's only Dec. 17. I like Delgado if he's healthy and can get close to his old production, but don't know if that's possible. - Roch

Dan said:

You don't take a player who is coming off a .226/.308/.342 season and bat him cleanup, regardless of his track record. While the prediction might not be absurd, the thought of it is. Atkins should bat no higher than sixth in this lineup (even without another acquisition) unless he shows flashes of his prior production.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course, his production in spring training and other moves made by the club will determine where he hits. The thought is, if Crowley can get him back to form, he could bat fourth. - Roch

http://masnsports.com/2009/12/more-on-the-orioles.html#comments

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, thats odd, but it would fit the mold of the past few seasons (Millar, Huff) where we have a less than perfect clean up hitter.

I don't know how I feel about Reimold in the 2 hole either. I still would like to see Roberts, Markakis, Weiters, Reimold/Jones and so on...

I highly doubt the O's brass feels like Atkins is the answer to the 4 hole. There may be some hope that they get lucky and Crow can fix his swing and he can fill that spot. To me its simply a low cost, high reward place holder for Bell. Nothing more, nothing less. Maybe Crow sees something easy he can fix to get his bat back. We'll see.

I agree with the idea that if Crow can get him back to his top form, he could be a cleanup hitter. But he has a heckuva lot to prove before he gets there.
Yeah, Roch should have taken a second to clarify and say this the first time. Save himself some 'splaining.

Very interesting, indeed. In my video game, I slotted Atkins 6th, and put Reimold at 4th.

Roberts

Markakis

Wieters

Reimold

Jones

Atkins

First Baseman (?)

Pie

Izturis

I don't even see Atkins as a clean-up hitter. But like Roch said, it's way too early to predict where Atkins will bat. Right now, Atkins looks like a #4 but next year he might be #6.

It all depends on what MacPhail does the rest of the off-season.

As of right now....

BRob-2nd

Nick- RF

Wieters- C

Reimold- DH

Jones- CF

Scott- 1st

Atkins- 3rd

Pie- RF

Izzy- SS

I like this, and I think his is closer to what we will see. Although I wouldn't mind Pie batting Ninth, in a "second lead off" role.

As of right now....

BRob-2nd

Nick- RF

Wieters- C

Reimold- DH

Jones- CF

Scott- 1st

Atkins- 3rd

Pie- RF

Izzy- SS

Yeah that's how I'd draw it up. I think its likely we continue to see Roberts, Jones, Markakis 1-3 and then Wieters in the 5-hole, though.

What else does DT need to see?

Nick has stated he prefers to bat second and his numbers show that.

Wieters said that he prefers to bat third and last September, he hit well batting third.

Why is DT so clueless to these things? Just bat these 2 guys, who are likely your 2 best offensive players, in the spots in the lineup where they are the most comfortable and where their numbers bear out that they are better.

Why is this is do difficult for someone who has been around the game as long as DT has...Hell, why is this so difficult for a monkey?

What else does DT need to see?

Nick has stated he prefers to bat second and his numbers show that.

Wieters said that he prefers to bat third and last September, he hit well batting third.

Why is DT so clueless to these things? Just bat these 2 guys, who are likely your 2 best offensive players, in the spots in the lineup where they are the most comfortable and where their numbers bear out that they are better.

Why is this is do difficult for someone who has been around the game as long as DT has...Hell, why is this so difficult for a monkey?

This is WAY over the line. Why the hell are you badmouthing Trembley like this? He's not even mentioned by Roch.

Archived